23v prop, shaft, and strut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

23v prop, shaft, and strut

I have a 2002 23v, and I did a fairly decent bang up job on the prop as one can see below in the attached picture. I have had no problem finding a new prop. It had an Acme 537, and that is what I intend to put on it again.

My biggest concern is with the prop shaft and prop strut. Does anybody know how to check if either of these two pieces of equipment is bent? If so, does anybody know where to order parts? I have had difficulty locating these parts, and the closest Tige dealer is a good distance away. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am curious as to if anybody has put an Acme 857 on a 23v and has any comments on the performance of the 857 prop. I am looking into placing an 875 prop on my boat, but wanted to gain some input.

Thanks,

Joe
    Attached Files

do you have any vibration when running? if not then I would assume you are ok

Comment

Prop Shaft Damage

I seriously doubt you damaged the shaft or the strut. The props are extremely soft and will take a lot of abuse to protect the other parts. Rotating the prop against a surface, which is what it looks like you did, does not put any sideways pressure that is enough to bend the shaft support. You would have to bang the prop shaft in the middle somewhere to bend the shaft and even that would take a lot of effort.

I have damaged my prop about as badly as you have accomplished. Your prop can be straightened for about $110.00 (our local price) and is a good as new. I also had the prop beaded to eliminate the machine marks and give a more uniform surface that does not have as much surface tension.

Replace the prop and see how it runs. That will be your best indication. Oh, and be prepared to damage your prop more than once. It seems to be common with lake boats and soft props. Just part of the expense of owning a boat.
      Ray Thompson
      2005 22V

Comment

Thanks for the input.

As far as vibration is concerned, I cannot comment yet. The prop was bent so bad that it would not move enough water to push the boat forward. There was some vibration at that time, but I had to assume it was due to the bent prop causing a balance issue resutlting in vibration.

With regards to repairs, I am probably looking at a new prop. The Tige dealer told me that their repair shop could not reshape the damaged prop. They weren't sure about the strut and shaft at this time, but they wanted to tear into it to check it out.

Sounds like I may just need to throw a new prop on and see how it performs...

Thanks,

Joe

Comment

The strut should be in line with the rudder. Spray soapy water on the strut bearing and see if you can turn the prop by hand. It should feel consistent all the way around. If not then likely something is bent. Did you hit bottom or an object?

Comment

additional info on these threads...

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...haft+alignment

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ight=alignment

Comment

That Prop Can Be Straightened

The TIGE shop is incorrect. That prop can be easily straightened by any competent prop shop. I have curled blades on a stainless steel that was able to be straightened. I have curled the blades on my Tige and they were easily straightened. Don't ask Tige. Go to a prop shop, borrow their prop puller, and take the propeller to the prop shop. Ask around, especially the fisher folks, about a good prop shop.

Check this out for what I did with my prop.

My Prop Damage

You are correct that you will experience a vibration caused by the damaged prop.

The prop will turn manually, but there will be some resistance. You will not be able to turn it with a couple of fingers.

Put a new (or repaired) prop on the boat and then operate the boat. You can tell from any vibration if there are more problems. I seriously doubt there are any problems.
              Ray Thompson
              2005 22V

Comment

I had hit a log that was floating, but it was submerged a few inches below the water line. I could not see it until the last second when I put the boat in reverse to attempt to slow down and hopefully lessen the damage. I am guessing that I had hit the log while the prop was engaged in reverse, thus curling the blades in the shape as you currently see.

I'll try a rebuilt or new prop to help determine if there is any other damage. I appriciate all eveybodys input. Thanks.

Joe

Comment

I am less optimistic than Ray is about your prop being perfect when you get it back. I had some pretty minor damage to my prop and had it fixed twice and it still has a mild vibration. I bought a new prop and use the vibrating prop for a spare. I'll have to sell my other spare (old nibral prop) on ebay this spring when people start needing more spare props.

Be careful about slamming the boat into reverse while going forward - there is another thread around here somewhere about a guy whose tranny failed and the transmission folks insist he did a high speed forward to reverse maneuver and ruined it (although he insists he never did).

I'm a little concerned that you say you couldn't get the prop to move enough to push the boat forward...Does that sound wierd to anyone else? It looks like it still should be able to limp back to the dock.
                  Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Attached some more pictures of the prop damage.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here's another.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Joe, whats up, it's Eddie. I assume this is the 23V you bought from me. I would replace the prop and slip it in the water to see what, if any, vibration you get. You may be surprised and only have $250 in fixing the prop.
                        Eddie Valverde
                        Skireel
                        Adjustable Towrope Systems
                        www.skireel.com

Comment

Eddie,

This is the boat that I had bought from you. I actually have a new prop for the boat. I just have not had a chance to put it on the boat and check out the performance. We lost out project manager in our project group, and I have been covering his responsibilities on top of mine which equates to me working near 80 hours a week. Hopefully the new prop will fix all and that is it. If it is not, then I'll have it in the shop with you all.

How is the 22v treating you?

Joe

Comment

Working...
                          X