OK, I'm an idiot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I'm an idiot

So I spent this week servicing my 2006 22ve, changing all oils, filters, etc. Tried to charge both batteries and it turns out they are both bad. So I grab 2 new ones and install them, but as I begin tightening the connection on the 2nd battery, I notice I reversed the polarity because I wasn't paying attention! Moron.
    So of course the stereo equipment doesn't work, but took the boat out and it runs great. My question is, did I fry the whole stereo system or are there hidden fuses that i can't find? I removed and replaced two, 40amp fuses that were blown, but still nothing. No power to the receiver, the amp, nor the remote controller on the dash.
    I plan on taking it in for service, but just thought I'd throw it out there just in case someone else has ever done something this stupid but was able to easily fix it.

There are two in-line fuse holders right off the battery, one for each amp. Then each amp may have thier own "internal" (but mounted in the amp's end panel) that need to be checked. If its the OEM setup the zx700.5 will have 3 30A fuses and the zx350.4 will have 2 20A fuses IIRC.

There will also be an in-line fuse for the head-unit. Its probably taped up in the harness behind the head-unit.

Inspect those, replace any that are popped then report back with any status lights on the amps and head-unit.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

There is also a circuitbreaker back there that feeds the dash. It is probably tripped as well. It has a litttle arm you have to push back in. Good luck with the amps..we had a customer do the same thing and his amps did not survive. It was cheap aftemarket brand I have never heard of..so maybe the kicker will have better protection. Good luck!
      here is what the circuitbreaker looks like.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by kko; 04-07-2012, 04:07 PM.

Comment

The battery posts are different diameters. How did you connect them backwards?

Hope it works out. Fuses and circuit breakers are nice, but modern semiconductor equipment does not like having its power supply reversed. It usually forward-biases various diode junctions which permits almost infinite current to flow until the fuses or breakers go - but by then it's often too late.

There's an old joke in the electronics industry that expensive semiconductors will protect cheap fuses by blowing first. I hope that didn't happen here. Please report back.

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
          The battery posts are different diameters. How did you connect them backwards?

Hope it works out. Fuses and circuit breakers are nice, but modern semiconductor equipment does not like having its power supply reversed. It usually forward-biases various diode junctions which permits almost infinite current to flow until the fuses or breakers go - but by then it's often too late.

There's an old joke in the electronics industry that expensive semiconductors will protect cheap fuses by blowing first. I hope that didn't happen here. Please report back.
          Though that is true most of the time when people do it backwards they do it on the eyelet that goes on the threaded post wich are the same size..so its pretty easy to do being the batteries are so burried in there and the cables are pretty tough to get to as I am sure your aware of with all the work you have done back there.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. I will work on it and get back on here soon.

Comment

Originally posted by kko View Post
              Though that is true most of the time when people do it backwards they do it on the eyelet that goes on the threaded post wich are the same size.
              Good point.

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
                Good point.
                Only kind I make!

Comment

Originally posted by kko View Post
                  Only kind I make!
                  I have to agree!

Comment

Update: took the boat in for service and it turns out the original dealer that i bought the boat new from did not install a fuse between the battery and the stereo. So it fried the stereo but luckily everything else had fuses that just needed to be replaced. Now there is an inline fuse installed so hopefully no more problems. Still an expensive lesson for such a stupid screw up. Hopefully it will help someone else take a few extra seconds and double check the polarity before replacing their batteries. I would also suggest checking that your stereo has an inline fuse. Thanks for all your input.

Comment

Working...
                    X