Fuel Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Gauge

I just got an 05 22V and the fuel gauge sits on full the entire time Im on the lake. Dealer said it might be a ground problem. Has anybody else had this problem.
    Everything happens for a reason
    I live my post whore life 30 seconds at a time

Fuel gauges in boats are notorious problems. Mine will stay on full until I get to less than 1/4 tank remaining. Then the needle will drop. I know once I see that needle move, I should start thinking about getting some gas. We just make sure we are topped off everytime we go out...

Comment

There are tons of threads on here discussing problems with the fuel gauges. I don't remember specifically what the subjects were but you can probably find them easily by searching on fuel gauge.
      -Tip

Comment

I've also read about a bunch on people who have installed aftermarket fuel flow meters. They seem to be much more accurate than the gauges...

Comment

Yeah, I installed one, it was relatively cheap and works great.
          -Tip

Comment

Ditto on the fuel flow meters. I installed one - easy to do, relatively cheap, and I know down to the gallon how much gas I have left, how much I've used, and what my GPH is at any given speed. Well worth it!

Comment

Does anybody know which flow meter is the best and where to get it. Is there a gauge small enough to fit in a pod the same size as a taps gauge.

Comment

Here the link to another thread where I posted pictures of my fuel flow meter after I installed it.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...r&pagenumber=3
                -Tip

Comment

So has Tige fixed the issue???

After reading this thread and the others that were referenced, I am curious if Tige has made a change in the 06 models...let's see, how about the 24Ve as an example...to minimize or eliminate the issues with the fuel gauge. The fuel gauge in my former deck boat never worked right and it was always a source of curiosity, wonderment and frustration. If it is still an issue, perhaps I should go ahead and get the fuel flow meter installed before we get our boat...It hasn't arrived in So Cal from Texas yet...so time is on my side...

Nick or somebody from Tige, do you have any insight on the fuel gauge issue for the 06s... Thanks...

Comment

I think they may be using a different fuel sender. May work better but not completly solved.
                    I'm on a boat man. I got my flippy floppies....

Comment

does anybody know if there is a navman website for a the flowmeter.

Comment

Originally posted by CP3
                        does anybody know if there is a navman website for a the flowmeter.
                        Here it is-

http://www.navman.com/marine/products/fuel/index.html

Comment

It says on the site that the 2100 is suitable for engines up to 300 hp but mine is 340 hp. Does it really matter or do I need to get the 3100.

Comment

It states on there site that it is good for up to 300hp, but it also states that it is designed for flue flow rates of 1.4 to 35 gallons per hour.

I have a 350(5.7) at its hp is rated at 340, I run around 5 gallons an hour.

I installed this in my boat last winter, and love it.

If it tells me that I have used 25 gallons of gas, then when I fill it I will be some where around 24 to 24.5 at the pump.
                            I could calibrate it to make it more accurate. But I have not bother to do so yet.

If you install one, just make sure of two things.
                            1) You install a flue filter before the transducer.
                            2) You need to install the transducer before the flue pump (Marine power engines)

Also I do know that this will not work on PCM engines (as they have a return to the fuel tank)

http://www.navman.com/marine/product...100/index.html
                            Attached Files
                            Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

If you install an additional fuel filter be careful, my Mercrusier manual (350 MPI) says adding an inline filter (in addition to the factory filter) can cause the engine to run lean. Running lean would help your fuel economy but could cause long term damage to the engine. I'm not sure if the same would apply to the Marine Power engine.

I chose to not install the additional filter. My 22v with the Merc 350 MPI has never operated less than 7 gal per hour (even with no ballast) at wake board speeds.

Was your boat only using 5 gal per hour before you put in the filter?
                              -Tip

Comment

Working...
                              X