When to have a prop repaired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to have a prop repaired

Looking for some practical wisdom regarding the 4-blade prop on my RZ2. Two years ago it touched a rock while beaching, and one blade has a very slight deviation on the outer edge. I massaged it back with a cardboard-lined crescent wrench, so it is fairly close but still not correct. I ran it all last year with no apparent vibration or loss of power or cavitation, but I'm sure it is not at 100%. How do you decide when to have a prop tuned/repaired?

Sooner is always better. The fact you made it better is good on you. If you can't tell its bent, you're probably alright. I guess its up to you how much piece of mind is worth.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

the next day, once you change it with you spare prop
      Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

Originally posted by whitlock87 View Post
        the next day, once you change it with you spare prop
        x2. That is the best suggestion. I bent mine three times. Fixed it like you did twice. The last time was bad. Sent it in over this winter and it is back on the boat now. I need a spare.
        Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

Finally took my prop to Hill Marine in Tustin CA, and I showed him the minimal ripple on one blade. He promptly looked at it and showed me how all four blades were deflected back almost 1/4" out of shape! There is no damage to the prop, and I don't remember ever running it in sand or the like. Maybe the thrust of wakeboard/skiing starts causes the blades to flex back over time? Anyway, now it looks great and I can't wait to try it out this summer.

Comment

Working...
          X