Problem turning to the right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem turning to the right

I have a 2004 22V. While under somewhat of a load, such a pulling a wakeboarder, I cannot turn to the right with a normal turning radius (the radius is about double that of turning to the left). When I pull back on the throttle almost fully, even though the wheel is already turned fully to the right, I can feel the rudder "break loose" and then the boat turns in its normal radius.

Has anyone else experienced this? The dealer tells me it is normal and is caused by the prop turning to the right but it does not seem correct.

Thanks in advance for any help.

So your not an ambiturner?

name your boat- Derek Zoolander.

Comment

i was told that it is normal for the boat to turn one way or the other a little easier because of the shape of the prop. it makes it easier to stay straight while wakeboarding at slower speeds. if the prop was shaped exactly the same on both sides the steering would be "washy".

Comment

Thanks, I understand the easier turn or pull to one side. This is different, when the steering wheel is turned fully to the right, the boat simply does not turn. The turning raidus is huge and feels like the rudder has not turned as far as it should until you shut it down.

Comment

Bent fin perhaps?
          Ray Thompson
          2005 22V

Comment

I also have had this problem several times and find it incredibly distressing and potentially dangerous. I have been told that it is a phenomenon called cavitation, and that it occurs when the boat is weighted. Although when I have experienced it I have not had my boat weighted at all and have had only like 6 people onboard. I experience a complete lack of steering control when it happens, the wheel will be turned all the way and the boat will continue on a straight heading, or while in the middle of a turn the boat will straighten itself out. I also have a 2004 22v.

Comment

Odd indeed. I have a 2005 22V and have never experienced any problems with the steering. Turning to the right or left seems about the same. I do not weight my boat and generally only have 4 or 5 people in the boat. I run the stock 4 blade prop that came with the boat.
              Ray Thompson
              2005 22V

Comment

What Gardyloo03 is describing is what happens to my 22V on a regular basis. It happens weighted or un-weighted. It even happens un-weighted with only two people in the boat. I belong to a ski/wakeboard lake with turn islands made to turn to the right and I cannot use my boat there. It is frustrating as no other V-drives have a problem.

Comment

I have an 03 22v and have never experienced this problem, weighted or unweighted.

I might agree with the dealer's assessment if you were having difficulty turning to the left, but not the right, unless your prop turns the opposite direction from mine.
                  -Tip

Comment

JWC have you tried watching the rudder while the boat is out of the water and have somebody turn the steering left and then right to make sure that the rudder turns eually to both sides?

Failing that have you had the alignment of the shaft checked maybe the P bracket could be bent. I'm not a mechanic but worth checking

Comment

I had this same problem with my 2004 22I. I finally talk to Tige M.D. and found out that for sdme reason on the 2004 there was a problem when the put the steering wheels on.

Tige M.D. told me to remove the steering wheel and see if the key was missing. It was wried that I did not notice the problem until later down the road.

So I would suggest the you get some to help you out. Have the person turn the wheel as you hold the rudder and see it the wheel continues to turn. If the wheel continues to turn I would suggest that you remove the steering wheel and see if the key is missing from the column.

Comment

What i would check first is make sure the rudder has the same throw when turned all the way left and then all the way right. There is a steering tube that the cable runs through you can adjust the throw by moving the tube forward or back. but remember when adjusting one way the other side will get shorter. the steering tube is located under the motor.

Comment

Working...
                        X