Hit a sandbar today....ugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hit a sandbar today....ugh

Wife was driving, about 10mph or so (she's afraid of the boat or other boats) and BAM we stopped dead in our tracks. Feel under boat- bottom of boat is in sand- can't be good. We got it off the sandbar with the help of a bunch of people. Got it back to the marina and on ther trailer.

Under side inspection shows the tip of 3 of the prop blades are bent, and "rubbed" the rudder a lil bit. But the under side of the boat right where the prop is- the fiberglass has been chewed on. It doesn't look like the prop could hit the fiberglass though. I assume it did.

So if I buy a new prop and check to see if the prop shaft is straight- what else should I inspect?

Thanks-Steve

check shaft, strut, fins, and rudder for the obvious.
    Also check steering linkage inside at the rudder and change the oil and flush the engine just in case the raw water pick-up sucked in a large amount of sand.
    good luck

Comment

Steve:

You're not the first one to hit a sandbar and you probably won't be the last one.

However, you can greatly reduce the chances of it happening again by setting the "Low Depth" alarm of the depth finder in your boat. Set it to 4.5 or 5.0 feet and it will alert you when the water is getting shallow, so that you can take immediate action.

I'm assuming that all in the boat were ok.

The boat, I'm sure you'll have her running well in no time.

Best of luck.

Saulo

Comment

Smendez- thank you, we are all alright, luckily the wife was driving slow. How do I go about setting the depth finder? I still haven't figured that out.
        Thanks- Steve

Comment

Steve:

You can download and print the entire manual from here.
          http://www.tigeowners.com/downloads/...der_speedo.pdf

I have ours set to 4.5 feet. Many times as we ride in shallow areas (like marinas, etc), the alarm can be an annoyance, but I live with it, because there are times when we think we are ok, are cruising at 30mph and all of the sudden the alarm sounds off telling us otherwise. Unless the change in depth is very sudden, you should have plenty of time to stop the boat and decide which way you want to go, without hitting bottom.

- - - - - - - -
          Here's a copy of the part you're interested in. It all starts in page 5 of the manual

Depth Sounder
          The Depth Sounder displays the depth of the water under the boat.

The depth can be displayed in feet, meters, or fathoms. Audible and visual alarms can be set to warn of shallow or deep water conditions. A "keel offset' setting allows the operator to adjust for the difference in the location of the Depth Sounder transducer compared to the deepest part of the boats hull. The various settings are accessed by pressing and holding the “Mode" button while the Depth Sounder is displayed (see Figure 2).

Depth Sounder "Settings" Menu
          There are four items in the Depth Sounder "Settings" Menu; Shallow Alarm, Deep Alarm, Keel Offset, and Units. Briefly pressing the "Mode” button cycles through the menu items.

The microprocessor will automatically record the new settings as you adjust them.

Shallow Alarm
          Pressing the "Up" or "Down" button changes the setting for the Shallow Alarm.

Setting the Shallow Alarm to zero turns off the alarm. To have this alarm indicate the
          depth of water under the deepest part of the hull, the Keel Offset must be properly
          set.

Comment

My guess, from experience gained from twice hitting objects, is that the only real damage is to the propeller and possibly your ego.

The prop blades bend very easily and it does not take much of an impact to bend the tip of the blade. Check out this post to see the kind of damage I did to my propeller.

Damaged propeller

The damage to the hull under above the prop may be due to debris being slammed against the hull.

I would also doubt that your prop shaft is bent as that is one tough piece of steel.

You do not have to buy a new propeller and can have your old propeller straightened. I borrow a prop puller from the prop shop to get the prop off the boat. You do not need any tools to put the prop back on the boat. It cost me $110.00 to have my prop straightened, resurfaced, and balanced.
            Ray Thompson
            2005 22V

Comment

My horrible experience...

I hit a rock when we are wake surfing last friday. The prop is totally damage.

Just wanna share my painful... (so bad ---> benmok, only share the painful, not the joy)

Since there havnt any parts near my location(Hong Kong), I still waiting for some ppl told me where can I order the damage parts.

Very appreciate if someone give help.
              Attached Files

Comment

Man I feel you .... Sunday was my first day out w/ my BRAND NEW 24V ... spent all day Sat. to go get it and then take it to the lake. So I finally get out on Sunday and the lake was 18 ft. below normal (70% of the boat ramps were closed), so of course I was cautiously watching the depth finder and we had just got out of the stumps and the depth was at 48 ft. That was about 20 mins into the day, then WHAM... a small shutter and then vibrations. Now get this.... I HIT A FISH!!!! Thats right... A FISH. A stupid 15 lb. Carp. (well 15 after the chunks my prop took out). Left me Limping back into the ramp w/ a boat that only had 1.5 hrs on it. 2 slightly bent fins and that was the end of that boats weekend. Talk about a crappy start. But it did look pretty, sitting there idling
                Being a major OU fan and a staunch conservative.... I am perpetually vexed w/ the conundrum of who to hate more. Obama or the Univ. of Saxet.

Comment

Stupid Fish!!!!

I hit a jumping bass with the bow of our boat last year. Crusing across glass water going to pick up some buds and the bass jumped right out of the water at the right time!! Nailed him at 24 mph!!!
                  "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

Comment

Hey smendez.....would the depth finder on my 2000 21V have an alarm?? All I see is a "set" and up and down buttons. It also displays "shallow" from time to time, but how do I set it, and/or change it to a sound alarm??

DC

Comment

dcauthen:

I can't tell you for sure if your depth finder will sound an alarm when properly set, as I'm not familiar with the depth finder unit in your 2000 21V.

However, I can tell you that our 2003 22V and our 2005 22V both came with the same identical gauge which allows you to set the alarm.

Additionally, I can tell you that our 1997 Monterey Montura (an inexpensive boat back then) had a depth finder that also allowed us to set an Alarm.

Based on this, I can only speculate that your depth finder may in fact allow you to set an alarm. It's probably a Fariah gaugue so its setup process may be similar to the setup process described above. If it's not, call the folks at Fariah - they may be able to help you. Their number is 860-848-9271.

Or you can check their website - http://www.faria-instruments.com/index-new.html

Comment

my wife was also driving while i was wakeboarding and she hit a submerged rope which wrapped around the prop and deformed it.

Benmok,
                        you can have your prop repaired, rebalanced for about $105 here in the philippines. let me know if you want to do this and ill help you out.

just in now: according to my wife(she's been reading the posts and saw the wife issues),she was destracted because her girlfriend was talking to her while she was driving.. well, i never blamed her from the start because what happened was unpredictable!

Comment

0ED66498-B2E8-42E3-A502-57BE789C9680.jpg

Hi everyone, looks like I should read these before heading out on the lake! While loading my 2018 RZX2 yesterday, we had the trailer backed to far in the water, and as I approached, the backend of the boat shifted to the right and I could feel something hit the trailer. Sure enough, hit the prop.

My damage doesn’t look as bad as the ones above, so my questions are:

1. Can I continue to use the prop as is for the rest of the summer, or will it cause more damage?
                          2. If I do use, will I feel vibration or just a loss of initial power?
                          3. Any recommendations for getting this eventually fixed in the Dallas area?

Thanks!

Comment

1) That prop is toast. Do not use before replacing or repairing.
                            2) see #1
                            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Get a new prop installed, a quick way to check if your propshaft is bent is look at the cutlass bearing and see if the shaft is over futher to one side.

Comment

Working...
                              X