Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing packing on V-drive

What a pain in the neck.....

I pulled out the center seat section to be able to get down in there, but it is still near impossible.

Any advice ??

Here's a couple of threads on the subject -

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...hlight=packing

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...hlight=packing

Comment

On a related note, how often do you change it? Also, mine looks nothing like any of these pictures. I appear to have PVC packing nuts, if I recall correctly. When I got my boat new, apparently Tige only installed one ring worth of packing so my shaft leaked like a sieve. The Ski Dock fixed me up and I haven't had problems since, but now I have well over 300 hours on the boat and I do end up with a little more water in the bilge, but nowhere near what it was when I first got the boat.
      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Packing nut is PVC....

tweirich... I am in the same boat as you (no pun intended....)
        My packing nut is a big PVC thing that you seperate, put the stuff inside, tighten up and then stick a cotter pin in to hold it together...
        Plus... it is UNDER EVERYTHING, and HORRIBLE to work on....
        When I bought the boat, it had no packing and leaked like crazy. I bought 1/4 inch packing but it did not fit at all. I had to cut it in half to get it in. The Dudes at SKIDIM hooked me up with 3/16th that did fit. I got 2 wraps in when I put it in this spring, after 2 summers and about 160 hours on the old stuff......

Last go round, I put about 100 hrs on before it started leaking, and then tightened it about 1/2 a turn and was good for another 80 hrs.....

Comment

I had the same problem with mine it was impossible to get to. So I had the local boat shop put the new pss shaft seal in and the bottom of the boat is dry now. I would highly recomend this system instead of having to repack the old seal.

Comment

Hmmm, I'm at 380 hrs and I don't recall ever having the Ski Dock change it. I get a little water in my bilge, but it's not all that bad. I'll have to check it next time i'm in the water to see how bad it is leaking.
            Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Talked to the guys at the Ski Dock and they've been adjusting mine as part of the annual service. They told me that you replace it when you can't adjust it any more (usually around 400 hrs or so), so I'm about due.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Garcia View Post
                These links no longer work. Does anyone have a good resource "how-to" to actually locate the packing, attempt to tighten, and potentially replace?

Comment

Working...
                X