22ve occasionally won’t go faster than idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22ve occasionally won’t go faster than idle

Hey guys. I have a 2007 22ve with the 340 marine power engine. It only has 120 hours on it. The past few times we’ve been at the lake on a couple of occasions when I put it in gear it will only go at idle speed. At first it seemed to be only after idling. Such as idling at the dock while I was backing the trailer in. However yesterday it did it right after we had been surfing and looped back to pick someone up.

every single time it does it I turn off the key and immediately restart it and it seems to work fine.

I’ve done a little research and read some threads about it possibly being a bad potentiometer in the throttle. What are your thoughts? Is there any other things I should consider checking?

any ideas where I can order a potentiometer from? Is it difficult to replace? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I had the same issue 3 seasons ago. My symptoms were intermittent and when I checked the voltage at the sensor it checked out fine. Replaced the potentiometer / pedal position sensor anyway as I had no idea where to go from there and haven't had an issue since. Here is a link to the write up I referenced: https://www.tigeowners.com/forum/tec...d-calibrate-it.

Digi-key had the part in stock.

Not a difficult fix by any means. One note; make sure the wiring for the taps button is out of the way of the screws you use to reattach the throttle assembly. I severed one of the wires and realized what happened after my taps plate would not go up. a quick splice and I was back in business.

Comment

Awesome thank you so much. That write up you linked to will help immensely. Is this a universal part or do I need to pull mine apart first to get a part number? Thanks again for the hlp

Comment

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...D9861R5KL2%2E0

Comment

Throttle sensor/potentiometer mine did the same thing when I replaced.

Comment

Thought I would give an update. While doing some research on replacing the throttle sensor, I came across a post on another forum about cleaning the sensor. So I pulled my throttle out a couple of days ago and took the sensor apart. I used a quip and cleaned the sensors. There was some dirty grease on the sensor. I put it back together and recalibrated it with my multimeter. I took it out for a few hours today and it did not once go into limp mode. I’m taking it out tomorrow for the whole day. Knock on wood it continues working fine. I’ll post an update if i get a full day with no issues.

perhaps this can save someone 150 bucks to just clean instead of buying a new sensor!

Comment

Another update. 2 full days of use with zero issues. Glad I just cleaned the sensor instead of buying a new one. Hope this saves someone some money!

Comment

Spacemonkey77, how did you "calibrate" the potentiometer?

Comment

Working...
                X