R20 vs R21?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R20 vs R21?

Looking two options for getting a Tige of my own. One is a 2017 R20, the other is a 2020 R21. This is going to be my family’s first boat but I was lucky enough to grown up with a 19’ MC Sportstar. Obviously the R20 and R21 are fairly different in length, width and weight. Has anyone had the opportunity to ride these in close comparison? Lessons learned from owning either models?

Looking to use the boat around PNW lakes on the West side of the Cascades with a few ventures to the Columbia gorge. Not a huge crew…typically three kids, three adults with a max of around four kids, five adults. Used for surfing, towing the damn tube, foiling and wakeboarding…in that priority.

R21 would be my choice for sure. The extra width makes a big difference, the r20 is a pretty small boat. 2020 also brought some pretty worthwhile upgrades, mostly being the surf tabs and touch screen. The r20 puts out a decent wave for its size with taps 3 but the r21 with the new GSA tabs will be substantially better.

I’m not sure where you are in the PNW but I would consider taking a look at the Canadian market, boats are generally cheaper up here with the dollar in your favour. Here’s a 2016 Z3 for 87K usd.

https://lakehousemarine.com/inventory/z3-blue-white/

Comment

2020 Go Touch system makes things easier for sure.

Comment

We have a 2017 R21 and its a great boat.

Comment

R21 being bigger and with 2020 having Go Surf system with new tabs and actuators makes it my choice for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB313 View Post
            R21 being bigger and with 2020 having Go Surf system with new tabs and actuators makes it my choice for sure.
            Agree

Comment

Is the difference in the actuators the speed at which they swap surf left/right? …port/starboard, goof/regular, heel/toeside…I don’t even know the right vernacular. Also, I noticed a difference between the tab that have the channels on the 2020 and the more flat tab on the 2019 R21s. Is there a vast difference in performance or wave quality between them?

Comment

Bigger difference. The actuators, their position, the plates and the software that controls all of that.

Comment

Lee, do you mind explaining the difference?

The mount angle seems like an obvious advantage but the software and the affect of the plates on wave quality is what has me curious.

Sorry…I’m a bit green. Thanks for your help!

Comment

The plates are bigger and have a different shape on the 2020+ boats. The new Go Touch software makes setting up the wave much easier.

Comment

Thinning the field…I’m looking at a 2019 R21 vs a 2020 R21. The price difference is big. $19,000. Similar hours…2019 has around 300 vs 2020 at about 215. Same ballast, tower & motor. 2020 would have the warranty transferred by the seller and included with the cost. 2019 has more options like a heater, smart wheel, two more tower speakers, etc.

Bottom line…is the new software and bigger surf tabs worth 19 grand? I think I know the answer…

Comment

I have very limited frame of reference…I’ve surfed behind a older 23.5’ Supra and 23’ Tige both with a wakeshapers. Thanks y’all for the input!

Comment

Mac I cant help you on the difference but my 2017 with the added weight on top of stock XL ballast plus right surf settings and speed puts out a great wave for the size and year. I would be curious if we can convert old style tabs to the new style on the older boats. I am sure they are different size ETC but a fab shop could easily adapt it if it would make a difference.

Comment

I owned an R20 for many years. Friends owned a Z21. 21 is wider and very noticeable in the seating area. I would go bigger if you can afford it. I did love the R20 though. If its money holding you back from your first boat the R20 is a great boat that gets you in the drink. That's what its all about. Better or not better is irrelevant. Its about getting the kids out. The rest figures itself out.

Comment

Definitely R21 for the reasons mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                              X