Hit a Log... not sure how to progress from here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hit a Log... not sure how to progress from here

Hey all so I'm back again, after 5 weeks of fixing the boat finally got it back in the water and had 3 nice days until today we hit a dead head "half submerged log" that was about 3 inches below the surface. Hit it at about 15mph. Bent the Prop, Strut, rudder, and most likely the shaft. I am thinking this is most likely an insurance claim from the little bit a research I have done so far. Any of you had this happen, what was your process?

I would recommend filing a claim and be aware if you try and fix it yourself and then file a claim some insurance will not cover it bc they call it a maintenance failure not an accident. One of my buddies learned the hard way. Good luck getting everything fixed

Comment

Here are some pics of the damage.
      Attached Files

Comment

Did the same thing in Lake Livingston with my Tige several years ago. Insurance provider was Progressive and they were awesome. Took it to Texas Tige in Conroe, the insurance adjuster went to their shop and reviewed the damage/repair quote directly with them.

After getting into the repair work, they found more damage - called Progressive who went back out there - ended up covering the additional work as well.

Comment

Black 3m guide coat around all the damaged areas to look for gel coat cracks if your adjustor wants good pictures. The black will make the cracks pop out in pictures.

Pretty sure AWS in PDX does fiberglass and gel repairs in house. Luxury is the Tige dealer but I haven't heard great things. If you strike out in your area we are more than capable of getting you handled down here in Bend and have plenty of experience working with insurance.

Comment

freeheel4life thank you I appreciate it, what’s your shop called, I would be willing to drive it down for quality work. The shops around here don’t seem to be all that great from what I have been reading.

Comment

snowmandopeman I'm at Lifestyle Wake in Bend. We are Nautique, Centurion/Supreme, and MC...but I spent years at Prestige Water Sports in Boise(Tige dealer). We would happily handle your needs and if need be we would winterize and shrink it now while insurance process happens and get the work done after winterization season dies off.

It's a busy time of year for most shops in the PNW and most I know of aren't going to bring on runaground repair right now due to the number of winterizations that need done.

Comment

freeheel4life Thank you that would work out pretty well. Since you have delt with insurance claims before would you recommend taking it in first then having the claims person come talk with you guys or have them look at the boat first then take it in? I have never submitted an insurance claim before.

Comment

In my experience it depends on your insurance and their adjustors. I've had some adjustors that will look at it, work up their own quote and then send it to us. Sometimes we then add stuff that they forgot or sometimes we says "looks good" and send it. Others will just say "take it to shop and have them submit quote for repair" and then they either approve or deny.

I'd probably just get a claim filed and get the ball rolling and see if their adjustor will come out or if they want it sent to a shop.

Comment

Sounds good, claim has been started, might just find a weekend to come hang out in bend and drop the boat off while we are down there. Thanks again should I ask for you directly when we come down or is there someone in particular we should ask for?

Comment

My name is Paden(pronounces Pay-den)and I'm shop foreman and transitioning to service writer as well. Rob is service manager. FYI we are closed Sunday and Mondays. If you decide to bring it here please call ahead so I can put your boat on the calendar.

Comment

freeheel4life so spoke with the adjuster over the phone and it seems like the prop, prop shaft, rudder and strut are all considered drive mechanical so looks like they will only cover 20% has have delt with this is there any way around it. Almost seems like insurance on older boats is pointless. If you hit a submerged object the only things really to get damaged are those listed besides the hull.

Comment

Change insurance then. Most cover 100% of total cost minus deductible.

Comment

Yeah I started looking into it but from what I am finding it seems like most of not all of them do the partial loss, 80/20 depreciation for older boats.

Comment

I'm an investigator for an independent firm and Boat US/Geico is literally the best and only way to go, progressive has consistently been a bag of dicks. All my boats are with Geico and I've investigated and assisted their adjusters on hundreds of claims. This would be covered minus deductible AND depreciation but depreciation varies between policies and you'd have to look into the best coverage solutions for your situation.
                              Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Working...
                              X