SOS….Need help…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOS….Need help…

We’re on lake Powell. We were surfing and all of a sudden had a complete loss of propulsion. Engine is fine. My first thought is that our prop fell off. After investigating, our prop appears fine and think the transmission won’t engage. We got towed back to camp and while being towed I could see our shaft is turning. However, transmission won’t engage. Any pointers that would get us back to the boat ramp would be great. Our boat is a 2019 ZX5 with only 200 hours.

V drive spinning or is it just revving in neutral?

Comment

Just revving like it’s in neutral. I was able to get a hold of my mechanic today and he thinks that either the retainer nut inside the vdrive spun off or the main shaft sheared. I think it’s the former. I can get it to engage and turn momentarily. Prop turns free, I can turn it from inside the boat. The drive shaft is moving in and out ½” or so. When it’s out or forward it feels like nothing engages in the vdrive. When it’s pushed in to the rear there’s grinding gears. Either way, vdrive is the culprit and I don’t think I’m fixing it on the water. Have a tow set up for tomorrow.

Comment

Shaft key way could be sheared as well. Definitely something that needs to be done out of the water.

goodluck!

Comment

Our shaft coupler sheared. Was told by the dealer that the 6 bolt couplers aren’t strong enough for the 25’ boat especially when paired with the supercharged raptor. They’re replacing the V-drive and we’re all hoping that Indmar is upgrading the v-drive with the newer 10 bolt v-drive. Will be done on Tuesday so hopefully I will find out then.

Comment

Working...
          X