Northern CA Ballast Install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Northern CA Ballast Install?

So after filling and draining ballast bags with a manual pump several times, I’m ready to install an integrated ballast system. I’m way to busy to take this on myself, and want it professionally installed. I keep my 2001 23V in North Lake Tahoe, Sacramento area would be OK too. Any referrals would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m in Reno, and West Coast is my dealer in Rocklin, although I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone, they could handle it. I’d ask Marine Specialty, down here, first, as their customer service, and any work they’ve ever done for me has been legit. West Coast had a guy up on the lake, somewhere on west shore, but I doubt he’d take that on, if he’s even still around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If you can't find anyone local we would be happy to take care of you up in Bend OR. Tons of experience with ballast installs and can add GSA if you like.

Comment

Would certainly love to visit bend for some mtn biking! But not going to happen with my work schedule anytime soon

Marine specialties in Reno can do it over the winter, and has boat storage, great referral so thanks for that

West coast in Rocklin doesn’t work on boats older then 2012

Also called Marine Service Center in Ranch Cordova. They can do it late August so leaning towards that shop.

Comment

Curious if anyone with a 2300V has their custom bag measurements? Not sure if I should order exact dimensions or shave a bit off to make room for bulging out, and less pressure on the engine divider panels?

Comment

I'm pretty happy with mine. They do leave a little room towards the bow. I keep lead and other small gear in those areas. They were made by MLA and he can set you up with dimensions if you need them. If you add 24" to the port side it will fill to the front of that locker.

You will want to reinforce your engine dividers and the back panels where they attach to the hull. Also block off the engine vent above the swim deck from waves splashing up onto the belts/pulleys when coming off plane. Long live the 2300v!
            Last edited by surfidaho; 08-03-2022, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks surfidaho. So 98” looks to be the max length completely filling under the seats? (And removing the cooler starboard side).
              Great to hear maxing out the size doesn’t cause any issues, assuming I reinforce the engine divider walls.

Comment

Blue123 98" on the starboard side, and 122" on the port side would be the maximum I believe. I have not pulled my cooler since it gets used... a lot, and we mostly surf port side.
                gumby I apologize as I was unclear in my previous post. You are correct, you do NOT want to completely block off the intake, just put a dam between the trim piece and the body below the vent so that water can not easily slosh up into the vent when coming off plane. A piece of thick double sided foam tape is what I used and it has held steady for years now.

An upgraded prop will be required with ballast of the size you are talking about. I run an Acme 1617 and would not run anything less. I also run with 5-600 lbs of lead for easy adjustments. Every surfer has their own predilections when it comes to the wave. I find that for me, surfing my boat, I like 3-7 deg of list towards the surf side for the cleanest face with the most push with my homemade gate but YMMV When I used to run fully listed the boat would be 15-17 deg to the surf side.

Pic included (only 2 people in the boat), just cause
                Attached Files
                Last edited by surfidaho; 08-04-2022, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X