Leak from V drive potential issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leak from V drive potential issues?

Okay so I was digging around in my new to me 21v and I found oil in the bilge under the V drive area. So pulled seat and cover out to check the oil in there which wasn't registering on the dip stick. Dug around a bit more and found the leak coming from the hydraulic hose the comes from the strainer at the bottom, pulled the hose off and checked it but turned out to be the 3/8-18 elbow that comes from the strainer.

After investigating further there was a divot that looks to be a manufacturing flaw which was probably there from when the boat was built, I replaced the elbow fitting and put everything back together and filled it up, no more leak it seems.

My worry is that if this has been there for a long time the V drive was probably run low on oil at least once probably more. Do any of you think this is going to drastically reduce the life span of the lower drive unit?

It sounds great engine has some vibrations that you can feel through the hull while it’s idling, but the v drive is nice and quiet. I’ll just keep up with all the maintenance from here on out and hope it lasts a long time. Just wasn’t sure if that low oil was something to be really worried about, don’t want to get stranded.

Comment

Working...
    X