Water Spewing from V-drive Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Spewing from V-drive Transmission

Does anybody know what is causing this? It’s a 2004 Tige 20v Switch with about 420 hours. I do not know the boat’s history as I just bought it. I took it to a mechanic to check out and he said the packing on the drive shaft was leaking a little more than it should so he repacked it and said everything was to spec. This doesn’t look normal to me though. It only happens when transmission is engaged and engine is throttled up (boat is moving). It doesn’t happen at idle or if I throttle up the engine in neutral.

https://youtu.be/LBTzfIBL7Io

check the transmission cooler lines, one may have a loose clamp or damaged hose. not sure about that model boat, but most will have a hose going from the raw water intake line into a strainer, then into the trans with another hose on the other side of the trans.

Comment

Thanks! I will check that. I just ordered a selfie stick on Amazon today so I can get my phone up under the engine and see better where the water is really coming out of.

Comment

Some of those vintage had a packing with a bushing what would walk out and then they are toast. Crawl under the boat and see if there's a bushing riding on your prop shaft near the strut.

If it was me I'd just be done with it and switch it out to Glide dripless packing.

Comment

I keep trying to post a picture of the shaft seal I have but this site is broken or I am just stupid or something, I cannot figure out for the life of me how to post a picture...anyway, I Googled it and I think it is called a PSS shaft seal that I have on my boat and that is probably where the leak is coming from.

Comment

Here, I figured out how to get the picture posted here:

Visitor message from jeremyjohnolson - TigéOwners.com (tigeowners.com)

Comment

I do not think it's a dripless seal because there is no hose going in.

Comment

Tige for a while used the PSS dripless seals without the water supply line.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyjohnolson View Post
                  I do not think it's a dripless seal because there is no hose going in.
                  On the stainless collar, there will be two set screws per the two holes. Loosen the four set screws and compress the rubber boot one inch and see it that stops your leak.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post

On the stainless collar, there will be two set screws per the two holes. Loosen the four set screws and compress the rubber boot one inch and see it that stops your leak.
                    I took the four set screws out last night. I am going to go to Ace and get four new set screws just to be safe and install them tonight. When I took off the set screws, one of the sides, the set screw was not even tight against the shaft and the collar was not compressed very much at all, I would say maybe 1/4". So yeah, I am pretty sure that was the source of the leak.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post

Should I use blue locktight?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyjohnolson View Post

Should I use blue locktight?
                        No sir, they are set screws stacked on top of each other.

Comment

Working...
                        X