How effective is wet sand/buff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How effective is wet sand/buff?

Needing some more advice about another possible purchase. This 2010 RZ2 has some pretty serious sun damage and fading. The dealer says a wet sand and buff will make it look almost new, but I have my doubts. I'm sure it will help, but to what extent? Does anyone have any experience repairing sun damage this way? The last photo is where he says he was able to wipe off the oxidation with his thumb.

I could also use some advice about pricing. 336 hours, perfect interior, trailer is in poor cosmetic condition but lots of new components. The graphics and gel coat are pretty faded. He's asking $59,000 and that seems way high to me. 5.7 PCM and 1600 lbs of ballast.

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I just went though the process of compounding, polishing and waxing my boat last month. All in all I was about 3 solid days of going around the boat. Oxidation remover made a significant difference on my blue hull. Removed almost all of the ghosting from removing the decals years ago and some of the lighter swirl marks. So, yes, with time and patience you could most likely remove all of it. I'd use the boat for balance of the season and make it a winter project if you have a place to do it.

I wouldn't worry about the hours if the rest of the boat has been taken care of. I bought my 09ve in 2014 with 226 hours and will roll 800 by the time the season finishes here. Never had any major mechanical issues. As for price I cannot comment as I'm not in the US.

Comment

There was a similar boat near me that was priced the same and didn't sell all summer.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

BC rider is spot on. My boat had some pretty bad sun fading because of where it sits in the slip. You could literally see a line where the boat cover stopped. My dad is a rock star (and retired so he has a million hours of free time) and a perfectionist. 3M marine compound and then a ceramic coat and it’s as good as new. A little wipe off product that removes the water spots throughout the year and it’s money.

I personally think 60k for an 11 year old boat is high, but in the world we live in who knows anymore. I feel like I could have gotten 45k for my 2007 at any point this summer based on listings so 60 probably isn’t far off.

Regarding hours - a boat that’s used and maintained will outlast a low hour boat that sits most of its life. I think I’d take a 400-500 hour boat from someone that’s anal about maintenance before a 250 hr boat that the guy can’t tell me what oil weight it takes. That’s just me though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X