Hairline cracks in tower 2014 Z3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hairline cracks in tower 2014 Z3

I am looking into buying a 2014 Z3 and the seller tells me there are some hairline cracks in lower section of the tower. I am 12 hours away so I cant see it for myself until I show up with intentions on buying it. At first I thought he meant cracks in the gelcoat around the tower connection, which I've seen before and doesn't bother me. These cracks are in the actual tower. Any reason to be concerned? Would this require an immediate fix or is it mainly superficial?

Is it the AlphaZ tower? Mine cracked up high, and not in a terrible spot, as far as being structural. Tige refused to replace the top half, so they welded it, but I would be pretty leery about cracks down low. It’s cast aluminum, so it won’t weld all that great. I’m waiting for the weld to fail on mine. There are other stories on here about people welding them with no luck. Not sure if you can still buy parts for them, or not. If it’s on one side, and you can find that side to buy, I’d make sure I could get the parts, before buying the boat. A tower breaking while pulling a rider could kill, or hurt someone real bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Is it the AlphaZ tower? Mine cracked up high, and not in a terrible spot, as far as being structural. Tige refused to replace the top half, so they welded it, but I would be pretty leery about cracks down low. It’s cast aluminum, so it won’t weld all that great. I’m waiting for the weld to fail on mine. There are other stories on here about people welding them with no luck. Not sure if you can still buy parts for them, or not. If it’s on one side, and you can find that side to buy, I’d make sure I could get the parts, before buying the boat. A tower breaking while pulling a rider could kill, or hurt someone real bad.

Comment

I think its the AlphaZ tower but not sure. They are down low. He just sent me these pics. There is no way I'm pulling a rider with this tower after seeing pics. Any idea about replacement? Can you still get this tower or will newer ones fit the same holes? Price estimates?

Comment

Bases are available. https://www.tigeowners.com/forum/gen...-now-available
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Definitely the AlphaZ. That’s a sketch crack, but the dude selling knows that too, so maybe there’s a work around, if some kind. Its been a year and a half since mine cracked, and nothing seems to be available anymore, but my dealer acted like parts existed when mine cracked, but I never did the research. There must be some totaled boats somewhere, although I have no clue where, that maybe you can find a used one in good shape. Maybe if you call Tige direct, you can buy parts? The E2 and M2 towers mount on some of the same hulls that the AlphaZ does, so there’s probably some way to retro a newer tower on, but I’m sure the most cost effective fix is finding the lower half of a AlphaZ.

I’d call Tige and some dealers and just start asking questions. See if you can get parts and prices for different fixes, then use that while negotiating with the seller, if you’re still interested. It’s gonna be a pain, but we’re approaching end of season, and depending where you are, you might have all winter to get it figured out. One of those older hulls with a newer style tower might be pretty sick. If you can get a smoking deal because of it, maybe it would be worthwhile. I wouldn’t trust a repair in that spot, for a minute.

Comment

There ya go, I figured someone smarter than me would have some kind of answer. Keep us posted on what happens. I’ll definitely be watching.

Also, I wouldn’t call that a “hairline” crack, at all.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I think im going to have to pass on this one. I had him down to 58k before seeing the tower cracks, which was an awesome price. He isnt willing to come down much farther and 58k is actually more than I wanted to spend. I still think its a good deal, I just am not in a place to spend that much and then invest a bunch into it. Needs a cover too. The boat is on craigslist in Austin Texas if anyone here is interested.

Thanks again yall!

Comment

That’s a pretty big headache to be dealing with on a boat you just bought, especially if it’s one you’re paying more than you wanted to. Look for boats towards the west coast. Everything is dried up, season is getting close to over for a lot of places, and it’s miserable to be outside because of smoke. Bound to be some boats hitting the market, soon.

Good luck bro!

Comment

Working...
                  X