Replacing shocks on 20V engine hatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing shocks on 20V engine hatch

When I bought my 2007 20V all of the rear hatch shocks needed to be replaced. I was able to replace both side shocks with Napa options.

However Napa didn’t have any of the bigger sizes needed for the 2 engine hatch shocks. I ended up finding the OEM option online and ordered 2 new replacements.

They arrived yesterday and I put them on and they’re still not holding up the hatch. Did the hatch gain weight or are the shocks potentially not to spec? Not sure what else to do when I got the actual OEM option and they’re not working.

Where did you get your shocks from? Are they the ameritool mfg.? What is the lifting force printed on the side? You may need to get the stronger ones.

Comment

Yes they are direct from Ameritool. I’ll have to double check what is actually stamped on the shocks I received but I ordered the 90# ones, which is the highest option in the 625-7 size, and that is what was stamped on the ones I pulled off the boat.

Comment

What's their LB capacity? You can always match their length and upsize from generic struts online, that's what I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Majr808 View Post
          What's their LB capacity? You can always match their length and upsize from generic struts online, that's what I did.
          Any chance you have that info I have to replace mine as wel?

Comment

I used 60lb 19” gas struts for my side hatches. They would still close on me when we would be floating and some waves from another boat drove by sometimes closing on my head so I ordered 80lb struts to replace them. Gonna see how those work.

I also replaced the front hatches with 40lb struts.. forgot the length I needed but I could look it up. 40lbs it’s a little too strong, I’d get 30 if that was an option.

they all use the same 10mm ball mounting, not sure if your placements also call for 19” struts but it’s super easy to measure them and you don’t have to be exact in your replacement length, just generally close

Comment

Did you also replace the engine hatch struts via generic option online? While it was easy to replace the side hatches with generic ones from Napa I found it pretty hard to find generic engine hatch ones that had enough lifting force and fit the angle which is why I went the Ameritool route.

Comment

Working...
              X