Shaft Seal questions??? 2000 21V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaft Seal questions??? 2000 21V

I'm thinking about replacing the shaft seal due to the age of the boat and I don't think the previous owner really took care of the boat. Would you replace the shaft seal on general principle or leave it alone if it's not leaking? The part of the seal that butts up against the collar seems maybe looser than it should be, but I don't have serious water in the bilge.

Also, if replacing the seal, I'd like to get one on order before taking the old one off. (I can still go out on the lake while I wait for the new one). I know the shaft is 1-1/8". Does anyone know what size the stern log is?

Lastly, my shaft seal appears to the be the PSS without the water inlet. Do I necessarily have to get a PSS or can I get the Glide Seal or Flex Gland? On the internet the PSS is quite a bit more expensive than the other two.

Thanks in advance and I appreciate any input. My other boats have been jet boats, outboards, and stern drives. V-drives are all new to me.

I’m no expert but we bought our boat (1999 21V Riders edition) new and had the PSS seal (no water fitting) installed in 2001 because the original packing system leaked horribly. I haven’t had a single issue with any water in the bilge until this week. I’m going to buy the maintenance kit and replace the rudder assembly while I’m in there. I don’t know much about the other alternatives out there but I’m a believer in PSS. Over 1000 hours and no problems!

Comment

PSS and other similar systems need to be replaced (per manufacturer specifications) every 3-5 years as the seal surfaces and bellows age. They're perfect for lake or trailer boats but I hate them in saltwater applications, they sink boats quite quickly. I recommend replacement with OEM but up to you.
      Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

I just replaced my PSS with glide seal dripless. From internet research I’d say they are both respectable products. I mainly chose the Glide seal bc its 2 seals. When the 1 fails you remove cap and slide other into place.

Comment

Originally posted by Grebva3 View Post
          I just replaced my PSS with glide seal dripless. From internet research I’d say they are both respectable products. I mainly chose the Glide seal bc its 2 seals. When the 1 fails you remove cap and slide other into place.
          It also looks like the Glide seal doesn’t require you to compress the bellows while tightening the collar with set screws like the PSS system. So perhaps a slightly easier install in a tough to reach place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Literally slides into place and seats itself and it’s pre assembled. Tim at glide seal will answer any question(s) you may have very knowledgeable. Getting to mine even with panels removed wasn’t the easiest but manageable. A small impact is helpful or at least helped me.

Comment

Originally posted by Grebva3 View Post
              Literally slides into place and seats itself and it’s pre assembled. Tim at glide seal will answer any question(s) you may have very knowledgeable. Getting to mine even with panels removed wasn’t the easiest but manageable. A small impact is helpful or at least helped me.
              Excellent, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X