2006 TIGE 20V Shaft seal/Strut bearing replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2006 TIGE 20V Shaft seal/Strut bearing replacement

I am replacing my shaft seal and strut bearing and just ordered the full kit from glide seal. I’ve watched the video from glide seal and video for strut bearing. Any other tips I’d greatly appreciate. Plan to tackle this job Friday evening/Saturday morning. I’ve found where people posted links with tips but they don’t seem to work.

https://skidim.com/shaft-strut-bearing-puller.html

^^of course it's on backorder like everything else marine....but this puller/slide hammer is the $hit!!...pulls shafts from couplers and is a cutlass bearing tool as well

Marine Hardware in Washington also makes a tool that bolts to the coupler and presses the shaft out.

I've also just put a socket between the coupler and V drive flange and used long bolts to press the shaft out of the coupler.

Some couplers have bolts going sideways thru them to hold the shaft to the coupler. Make sure you don't have any and if you do make sure they are loose or you will never win lol

Comment

Since I have to remove the rudder should I replace the (bearing/packing) not sure here in regards to the rudder since I already have it out? My thinking is yes, but will have to do some more research.

Comment

Rudder is out…had to pause as it’s thunder storming at my house currently

Comment

Glide shaft seal and strut bearing complete! Other than parts and my time saved a ton of money thanks to assistance from this forum and some helpful YouTube videos.
          1. YouTube videos to replace strut bearing/glide seal great help
          2. how to align shaft was exactly spot on from how to section

3. I did have to reposition my boat to get rudder to drop out.
          4. making a puller tool was a life saver and made this job very very doable.
          Thanks again this forum is a life saver. Since buying my boat 4 years ago other than the 1st 2 winterization I have done all my own maintenance!

Comment

Working...
          X