R 20 propeller shaft leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R 20 propeller shaft leak

I have a 2013 or 20 with him Tripolis packing that works what is the best way to stop the leak or do I need to replace the dripless seal?

I’ll let someone else chime in about what action you need to take, but I found this guy Ron Tanis channel on you tube that has some really good inboard maintenance videos. He has one about shaft seals, talks about different types and how to replace....,

https://youtube.com/channel/UCSHOLmJXRsWifyZKB9aR4jA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

See the video called ski boat shaft packings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

2013 likely has the carbon seal ring not dripless. If there is no water hose running to the seal then it's the carbon seal type. The collar walks up the shaft and needs to be compressed again. Remove the set screws...each hole has two screws. One that holds the collar to the shaft and another that goes on top of that one to act as a safety/stopper to keep the lower One from backing out.

Be sure to flip flop the out screws for the inner ones that contact the shaft. Usually the ends get damaged from riding up/on the shaft and won't get good purchase on the shaft when you re-tighten. The goal is to compress the rubber accordion style boot one inch then lock down the collar.

Comment

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but thought it would be better here since my question is related. I have the same seal on my 2006 21i and it’s also leaking significantly. I search all over the forum and google to get more details about it. Any idea who makes these? What kind of maintenance is required? Does it need a slight drip of water?

Comment

gumby thanks for getting back to me! I understand compressing the rubber boot, but what I’m not sure about is if it still needs to drip a couple of times a minute or if any other maintenance is required. I’m new to inboards and just trying to get up to speed on what needs to done.

Comment

gumby - thank you!!!

Comment

Working...
              X