Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel gauge doesn't work - should I fear running out of gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel gauge doesn't work - should I fear running out of gas?

Hey guys, so I have a 2005 22V and the fuel gauge does not work. I believe the boat has a 38 gallon tank. Some day I would like to figure out how to fix it but I've got other projects to handle before I can. So far, I just fill up the tank before every trip so I know I'm topped off. That way I don't have to worry about where the gauge is at.

This last trip didn't seem too long (5 hours approx on water, lots of surfin) and I used 20 gallons of gas. Seems like a lot to me. Maybe I didn't fill it all the way on the trip prior?

Anyways, should I be concerned with using an entire tank on a day at the lake and potentially being stranded? I didn't think that would be possible for a full 10 hour day of fun but using 20 gallons on my last half day rose this concern.

I did buy a little 2 gallon gas container to keep in the storage of the boat as an emergency reserve to get be back to the dock, just in case I do run out and don't see it coming due to the bad fuel gauge.

20gal p/5hr surf session sounds about right.

Really one of the more important gauges. Never accurate but surely needed. The biggest problem with running low/out of fuel is sucking debris off the bottom of the tank. Once you’ve done that, the fuel filter/system will more than likely be clogged and no matter how much fuel you put in the tank, you’re not going anywhere until you clear it.

The gauge is a pretty simple system to fix. The sender is on top of the tank.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

I would love to fix it, I’m just a little intimidated getting to the fuel tank. Since you say it’s not too tough I think I will dig up some old threads and take a crack at it. Thank you

Comment

It's very easy once you get the rear pedestal out. Just two screws that hold the aluminum center floor down.

Rear pedestal has a bolt, if not two, on each side. Access them from the hatch area. There is a carpeted strip along the front of the pedestal, find the screws holding it in place. Then behind it, there should be 3-4 screws that hold the pedestal to the block mounted to the center floor. Lift the pedestal up and out of the way to access the two center floor screws. Center floor lifts up and slides towards the back of the boat.
        Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thank you for the info. I think I will tackle this once I finish replacing my recently shot starter.

once I do get to the sender on top
          pf the fuel tank... how do I typically fix it? Do I have to replace the part? Knock it loose? The fuel gauge pretty much just always reads full right now, but when I start the engine the needle resets itself so I don’t think the gauge is bad.

Comment

I have the same boat and the fuel gauge didn't work as well. Turned out to just be the gauge itself. Kool-aid gave a great description of accessing the sending unit but I'd prove it's not the gauge first.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

My speedometer gauge was bad, I wouldn’t be surprised... is there a way to test the fuel gauge?

Comment

Do a quick Google on it, but if I recall correctly you put 12v to it and it should read full.

Comment

Originally posted by cucv View Post
                  I have the same boat and the fuel gauge didn't work as well. Turned out to just be the gauge itself. Kool-aid gave a great description of accessing the sending unit but I'd prove it's not the gauge first.

I tested my fuel gauge by grounding the sending post on the back of the gauge and confirmed the gauge is bad.

Did you end up replacing your gauge? I'd like to buy a replacement, but don't know the Ohms this gauge was set to read from the sending unit. Can't find the original Faria gauge to replace it.

Comment

You can pull the sender out of the tank and measure the ohm reading at full and empty. You can then either buy a gauge that works in that range or you buy the gauge of your choice and purchase an ohm converter from places like Speedway that will let you run any sender with any gauge.

Testing a gauge is pretty straight forward. Confirm you have 12 volts on the ignition stud of the gauge then remove the wire from the sender stud. With the sender wire removed the gauge needle will either peg full or peg empty. Then take a jumper wire and clip it to the sender stud. Touch the other side of the jumper to a good ground source. The gauge will now peg the other direction. If your gauge has not been reading properly, but does peg in both directions for this test then you have a sending wire or a sending unit problem, usually the latter. If there is no movement in the gauge at all, replace the gauge.

Comment

I was able to have my gauge set out from a local generic boat dealer to get rebuilt. I ran a Faria GP9373A til I got it back. I can't recall the research picking that gauge so take it with a grain of salt.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. Tested my gauge and the needle wouldn’t move from a ground or +. Confirmed 12v to +&- gauge posts.. now I’ve got a GP9373A in the mail.

Could have already had this thing fixed if I knew to test the gauge!

Comment

Working...
                        X