Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-Purchase questions for a 2006 24ve: ANY HELP APPRECIATED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-Purchase questions for a 2006 24ve: ANY HELP APPRECIATED!

Hello Tige owners,

I'm looking at a 2006 24ve and will hopefully be doing an inspection next week. The boat is located about 5 hours away and I don't want to waste my time or the current owners. This boat looks really clean and I will do my due diligence inspecting the gelcoat, functional components, and other obvious moving parts. I have a few questions:

Any specific questions I should ask the seller before making the trip?

What would you inspect other than a lake run/fake-a-lake or the engine/prop vibrations?

Do ve's have any typical gremlin's I should know about?

I own an old (91) direct drive 21' that I've made surfable. I mainly want to teach my 3 little ones how to surf and do other fun water sports. I would love any advise on typical issues with these boats. I have done research and the they seem pretty solid minus some gauge issues. Thank you all in advance and I hope to own this bad boy and contribute to this community!

Limp mode is a gremlin with this boat if it has the dual battery factory set up. Plenty of threads on it though here. Known problem and fairly easy solution.

Comment

The speed set on this boat can be an issue as well. Run some tests on it. Get it set, get to speed. Come off it like your picking someone up, go again and make sure it stays set, etc. Try to get on open water if you can and run it up to temp and all the standard stuff.

If it has factory ballast, make sure it all runs, fills, drains as expected. Look for leaks. Make sure the boat is dry before and after. The water collects under the gas tank not in the back by the motor, so take a flashlight through the peep hole above the v drive.

Good luck man! Love our 22ve. Wish we had a 24

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

With these years it's worth a water test to see if the shaft seal is leaking.

Also, what elevation are you at and what is engine package. Have run into some out gunned 24s at elevation for guys that want to run a lot of weight

Comment

Thanks guys,

I'm in New Mexico and the boat is located in Texas. We have some wicked weather approaching and will not be able to check it out for a couple weeks. I appreciate all the information. We will more than likely be using it a lake with an elevation of 6500 ft. I'm already looks at WakeMakers for a high elevation prop (Acme 2079). I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Do a lake test. Fake a lake will not show certain issues. It needs to have a load on it.
            Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

Here we go! After almost 2 months waiting for titles/paperwork and the Texas freeze mixed in, I brought the 24ve home this weekend. The interior is in great shape and engine compression was perfect. The trailer looks a little rough so I'm going to take it to a local shop for an inspection. I've done a lot of reading on here so thank you guys for all the info! I want to contact chpthril for the ballast system so we can surf the hell out of this thing.

It looks like it sat on a boat lift for a long time and I can't read any of the rocker switches on the dash. Does anyone have a picture of theirs or know what each switch does? I found the blower and bilge but a little lost on the others. The battery switch is worthless and everything stays hot, I'll need to investigate that further. Can't wait to share my project.

Comment

Anchor Light, Courtesy Lights, blower, bilge, acc, docking lights, tower lights, shower was typical layout.
                Oh Yeah!

Comment

I just replaced mine this past winter because they were fading. Here is my layout on my 06 (I think my underwater lights used to be dock lights, but I changed it)
                  Last edited by boonecragun; 04-05-2021, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Thank you! Where did you get the replacement switch covers?

Comment

https://www.otrattw.net/Contura-II-I...s-Rocker-Only/

you can make your own custom labels if you want. Just pick the switch cover with the icon you want and you can add custom label.

Comment

Awesome, I just ordered them.

Comment

Originally posted by jastork17 View Post
                          The battery switch is worthless and everything stays hot, I'll need to investigate that further. Can't wait to share my project.
                          some of these vintages got the cranking /engine battery wired to the master but the helm/house battery is hot all the time. Id check to see if that's your constant hot issue. Dead giveaway is if engine won't crank but helm functions work with switch off

Comment

Working...
                          X