Very stiff steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very stiff steering

My steering is very stiff. How do I loosen it up? I have cleaned and greased the cylinder. Is there a screw that can be adjusted on the rudder assembly? Is there a bearing that can be replaced? It is harder to turn than a car without power steering.

Probably have to replace the steering cable.

Comment

We need to see a picture of your boat.

Comment

what aj said.

If it's an 04 and its the original cable, I have money it's toast.

Talk to SPBFan and he will hook u up.
        Originally posted by G-MONEY
        It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

boat pic
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Domsz06 View Post
            what aj said.

If it's an 04 and its the original cable, I have money it's toast.

Talk to SPBFan and he will hook u up.
            Who is SPBFan and how do I get in touch with him?

Comment

His contact info in this link.
              http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/member.php?u=5267
              Great looking boat!

Comment

The cause is likely the steering cable, common problem with these boats. You can pick one up on line for about $150 and do it yourself. There is a lot of good instruction on this site to help, though it can get tight and be a real pain in the *** to thread through.

Or just take it to a dealer and plan on spending about $500 to $600.

Comment

Yes, use SPBFan to order! that's where I got mine, he has good prices and ships quick and is willing to give you advise if needed, good guy (my experience).

Comment

Originally posted by spyderwebb View Post
                    Yes, use SPBFan to order! that's where I got mine, he has good prices and ships quick and is willing to give you advise if needed, good guy (my experience).
                    Just sent him a price request. Appreciate it. Definitely plan on doing it myself.

Comment

Odds are you need a cable, but lots of people overlook greasing the rudder box. It has a std grease nipple on it. This will help the life span of a cable IMO.
                      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

There is a How to thread on this subject, it may help you out if you decide to do it yourself.

How to change a steering cable.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                          Odds are you need a cable, but lots of people overlook greasing the rudder box. It has a std grease nipple on it. This will help the life span of a cable IMO.
                          yup agreed! odds are though like you and everyone else has said it will need a new cable. Once they are gone... they are gone...

for next time do what Mike said too though and keep it greased!

don't pay the dealer to do it either btw, if you can operate a wrench you can change it yourself.

SPBfan is a member on here an you can just PM him, I think you already did though... I'll txt him to make sure he checks this. He is Super busy with work and family.
                          Originally posted by G-MONEY
                          It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

New cable steering still stiff

Steering cable was replaced before winterized. It is new, because the last one stripped. However, when I went to use the boat this year, it will not budge. Afraid to move it because I don't want the cable to strip. The mechanic is a good guy. I believe him when he said he ran the boat last year after replacing the cable. could the rudder be locked?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Garcia View Post
                              There is a How to thread on this subject, it may help you out if you decide to do it yourself.

How to change a steering cable.
                              All the pictures are 404 errors?

Comment

Working...
                              X