Strange Goofy only surf / limp mode question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Goofy only surf / limp mode question

I have a 22ve, am running about 1100 port rear, 800 starboard rear and nothing in the front, 4 adults 5 kids. I am at about 5100 feet. I had a strange thing happen last week. My Bro, a 270 lb guy was starting goofy side. He didn't really know how to pop up, So he was pushing a HUGE wall of water, and we had everyone on that side to sink the boat down. I tried pulling him up, and after about 5 seconds of pulling, maybe 6or 7 MPH (full throttle with the speed control set AT 10.8) the engine just kinda stopped revving and wouldn't go about 1k RPMs. I freaked out, limped all the way back to the dock. The oil looked low, but after adding a quart, it was Too high, so I think that is a red herring, because the same thing happened the next day AGAIN. This time, I turned off the boat, restarted and it ran fine until I tried it again. It happened again. I think I am running the stock prop (537, 13.5). The boat struggled to maintain anything over about 18 mph loaded up, even with people in the front.

Question:
    Is there an overload function on the engine, where if you floor it for more than 5 seconds under HEAVY load, it will just stop pulling? It seemed not to want to plane with that much in it.
    If it was oil, why would it do it again the next day, with plenty of oil in it?

5.7 Marine Power, 370 hr, 537 prop.

What year is the boat?
    Oh Yeah!

Comment

2007 22ve with the Marine Power 5.7

Comment

07 24ve. I had something similar happen to us a few years back. It turned out to be the start of a throttle position indicator problem. The scenario you describe is when we first noticed symptoms. It got the the point that it would never reset. Once I got the TPI reset, we've never had a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by GzeroX5 View Post
          07 24ve. I had something similar happen to us a few years back. It turned out to be the start of a throttle position indicator problem. The scenario you describe is when we first noticed symptoms. It got the the point that it would never reset. Once I got the TPI reset, we've never had a problem.
          Is that the sensor on the engine or at the throttle in the cockpit? When you say reset, do you mean replaced or have someone reset it like flash it or something? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X