2020 RZX2 questions re: fuel gauge and ballast pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2020 RZX2 questions re: fuel gauge and ballast pump

1. So far I have filled the fuel tank three times at the gas station until the automatic shut-off kicks in, so each time I have assumed that the gas tank is full. However, once I get out onto the water the fuel gauge has read in the 65-75% range, but no higher. I know topping off is a no-no, but it seems I'm not really filling the gas tank to 100%? Or is the fuel gauge not to be trusted?

2. During my last outing, the port/aft ballast pump failed to fill the rear sac while the other pumps worked fine. Not sure what happened, but after turning the pump on and off a few times it started working again and seemed to fill at the normal rate. What might be the cause of this?

Sounds like the ballast pump was air locked.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I'd assume the 2020 uses reversible pumps and shouldn't air lock?

Comment

The highest I ever got my RZX to read was like 90%. If I opened both fill caps that seemed to help as it allowed venting better during filling. As a rule, boat fuel gauges are not to be fully trusted.

Comment

Originally posted by SONIC View Post
          I'd assume the 2020 uses reversible pumps and shouldn't air lock?
          Still aerators.

bridgerider have seen a few pumps where the pump isn't securely screwed to the thru hull fitting and I believe its air locking below the impeller. Ive removed the pumps from their thru hull fitting, added another wrap or two and then made sure they are screwed all the way onto the thru hull fitting and so far I haven't had any more complaints .

Comment

In my R23, if I fuel the boat with the bow down some, I can get 5 gallons or so more fuel in...just look at the parking lot of the service station and park down hill.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bridgerider View Post
              1. I know topping off is a no-no, but it seems I'm not really filling the gas tank to 100%?
              why is topping off a no-no?

Comment

Fuel expands then purges out the tank vent and down the side of the boat.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I am having the same issue with my new 22RZX. Will only fill to 66-67% with both caps open. Having the other cap open allows for about 4-5 gallons more. Called and talked with Justin at Tige. He is having me check firmware (should be 20200203) to see if it is just a calibration on the fill level. If not that, then it is either the back flow preventer(s) or a crimped vent line. I will provide updates as I trouble shoot the issue. I have the 440 and it is a fuel hog compared to my 13 Z3. Much heavier boat. Want to take advantage of having a 65 gallon tank. Love the wake...a real game changer!
                  To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else. ~Emily Dickinson

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                    Sounds like the ballast pump was air locked.
                    yup, that sounds about right. will see if it happens again..

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post

Still aerators.

bridgerider have seen a few pumps where the pump isn't securely screwed to the thru hull fitting and I believe its air locking below the impeller. Ive removed the pumps from their thru hull fitting, added another wrap or two and then made sure they are screwed all the way onto the thru hull fitting and so far I haven't had any more complaints .
                      ok, will try that fix if it happens again, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamer View Post
                        In my R23, if I fuel the boat with the bow down some, I can get 5 gallons or so more fuel in...just look at the parking lot of the service station and park down hill.....

haha, good idea, but i'm not sure i'm that desperate for the extra 5 gallons!

Comment

Originally posted by dsene View Post
                          I am having the same issue with my new 22RZX. Will only fill to 66-67% with both caps open. Having the other cap open allows for about 4-5 gallons more. Called and talked with Justin at Tige. He is having me check firmware (should be 20200203) to see if it is just a calibration on the fill level. If not that, then it is either the back flow preventer(s) or a crimped vent line. I will provide updates as I trouble shoot the issue. I have the 440 and it is a fuel hog compared to my 13 Z3. Much heavier boat. Want to take advantage of having a 65 gallon tank. Love the wake...a real game changer!
                          ok this is good info. i'll check my firmware version when i can. please keep me updated here ... thanks!

Comment

Other thing you can do is disconnect the trailer and lower the nose/tongue as low as possible. That will make sure the front of the tank is lower than the back where the fill hoses come in at.
                            Oh Yeah!

Comment

Ok update on the gas gauge issue: it’s not the gauge. Last gas refill, the pump turned off after adding about 25 gallons, but I was able to add another 22 gallons (!) but only by filling very slowly, meaning that I was manually reducing the fill rate to avoid the gas pump’s auto shutoff. So does this mean that there is a vent line issue or something of the sort? I assume this is not normal?

Comment

Working...
                              X