Overheating concern... 2001 2100v LTD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overheating concern... 2001 2100v LTD

So just did a ton of maintenance on the boat to include the Stargazer Perfect Pass which works AMAZING... I cannot wait to surf again. Things I did...

Oil/V-drive and motor (hit about 50-75 hrs already this season)
    ATF in the Transmission
    Spark Plugs
    Cap and rotor
    Run Dry impeller

Now for the issue, I have noticed when underway (especially under load) that the temperature has been floating up to 180s. I have been routinely checking the risers and noticed that the starboard riser was getting noticeably hotter than the other side. About to where I could not touch it... It has been that way for a few years or so... Anyway, to me it was normal... However, I am not sure it is supposed to be that much hotter. Fast forward to today, I replaced the water circulating pump as mine had a bearing that was giving way and was causing a ugly noice from the belt. After we replaced the circulating pump, the sound went away and we new we had at least solved that issue, but the overheat issue continued. Now here is the weird part... we didn’t clear any lines or anything, but whatever we did, the opposite riser is now getting hot. Got everything to do the thermostat again.. going to check all the hoses leading into there and try to run the water through them to see is something snuck by the transcooler (which I replaced last year). Just trying to se if anyone understands what is going on or had a similar issue.

Always appreciate the love. Thanks to Boatwakes (Cory) for always taking my calls/texts! Much love!

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder about the new run dry impeller. Have you used one before? I think sometimes they aren't the same diameter.
    Anyway, I'm not Cory, but that's what I would try. Change it back to the original and see if that makes a difference.

Perfect pass is great!
    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
      I wonder about the new run dry impeller. Have you used one before? I think sometimes they aren't the same diameter.
      Anyway, I'm not Cory, but that's what I would try. Change it back to the original and see if that makes a difference.

Perfect pass is great!
      I do not believe the impeller is the issue. Cooling is fine. Only time the temp is moving up is when under load and it did it with the old impeller too. Impeller is a run dry one that Cory referred me to. Do you use them? He was mentioning he had one get 10 years use!

Really the anomaly is that the opposite riser is the one that gets hotter now that the new circulating pump is in. That’s where I am a little lost. Hopefully getting the thermostat redone tells me something. Thinking about running the boat for a min with all the hoses off the thermostat housing to see if something comes out. Anyone ever try this method? Trying to prevent having to pull the other hose ends. Thanks for the reply Mike! Miss ya man! Hope to see you at Havasu!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Notice anything new... Hint = PP Upgrade!

Not ever surfing again without it if I can help it... What a blast... Wave was perfect the whole time. Love it! Now to see about the thermostat issue.... TBD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Attached Files

Comment

Update***

So after exhaustive research and buying a new temp gauge and sending unit, I have been able to diagnose that it is normal for one riser to be warmer than the other... and that the dash gauge in my boat is not accurate. Something internal to the gauge is causing it to show a slightly higher temp under load. New gauge with new sending unit reads 160 at all times. Shot the temp gun everywhere and highest temp I could find was 160.5 degrees so I am hoping that this was all just a learning more about my boat moment. Just glad to know the new circulating pump is moving water well in the motor and the run dry impeller is working great too. Been out surfing at least 6-7 times since and all went well. To include the leak from the PSS that I was able to sneak some more compression on the bellows (hope that lasts). I am always humbled being able to reach out to this site and get the help I need. Thanks to all. Here are some if the mid-season maintenance. Missing is the v-drive and trans oil. I realize the T-4 oil is not the same rating as the original RotellaT triple but it has been good to me the last 4 seasons or so. Just changing it more often. I did put non detergent 30 weight oil in the v drive too.

Comment

Look at all that glass. Sounds like you are giving the old girl the love she needs too. Good to hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
              Look at all that glass. Sounds like you are giving the old girl the love she needs too. Good to hear it.
              Amen brotha. Def get lucky to surf in these conditions at least a couple times a week! Thanks man!

Comment

Glad it is all dailed in for you. Showing off that sweet new board. Stoked about your Perfect Pass
                Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by h2osk8er00 View Post
                  Update***

So after exhaustive research and buying a new temp gauge and sending unit, I have been able to diagnose that it is normal for one riser to be warmer than the other... and that the dash gauge in my boat is not accurate. Something internal to the gauge is causing it to show a slightly higher temp under load. New gauge with new sending unit reads 160 at all times. Shot the temp gun everywhere and highest temp I could find was 160.5 degrees so I am hoping that this was all just a learning more about my boat moment. Just glad to know the new circulating pump is moving water well in the motor and the run dry impeller is working great too. Been out surfing at least 6-7 times since and all went well. To include the leak from the PSS that I was able to sneak some more compression on the bellows (hope that lasts). I am always humbled being able to reach out to this site and get the help I need. Thanks to all. Here are some if the mid-season maintenance. Missing is the v-drive and trans oil. I realize the T-4 oil is not the same rating as the original RotellaT triple but it has been good to me the last 4 seasons or so. Just changing it more often. I did put non detergent 30 weight oil in the v drive too.

can you send me the link for your run dry impeller? any issues with it?

Comment

Originally posted by stonewall View Post

can you send me the link for your run dry impeller? any issues with it?
                    Here ya go [mention]stonewall [/mention] no issues thus far. 2d season just started though.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=1041144

Comment

Working...
                    X