21v velvet drive ‘99

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

21v velvet drive ‘99

Recently had my transmission replaced in my ‘99 tige 21v. Velvet drive. Now I’m having an issue when under a load there is slipping. The motor revs up really high (guessing no load) and the boat slows way down. The output shaft still looks like it is spinning but it is so fast even the iPhone high speed camera struggles to see it.

Im not sure if it is slipping into neutral or there is a key or assembly issue. They checked the coupling near the threw haul for the key and say it is installed. Any help on how to trouble shoot would be appropriated.
    Starts
    07-02-2020
    Ends
    07-03-2020
    '99 Tige 21v MercCruiser 350 MPI

Usually happens when the clutch packs are worn out. Theres a stack of alternating friction plates and slip plates. Does it slip in reverse as well?? Where did you get they get the new Velvet Drive. Was it a reman??

Comment

It was rebuild by a transmission shop in my town. They claim to do at least one every year of this same transmission. They mainly do car transmissions though.
      So I had a local boat shop pull the transmission and a local transmission shop rebuild it. The. The other shop put it back in.
      Issue is they are now pointing the finger at each other and I have a boat I can’t use.

Comment

Was it slipping to start with?? Why the rebuild?? I've done a few and it was always clutch plates. I could imagine a scenario where if the pump didn't make enough pressure on the piston it could slip as well. Does it slip in just forward or reverse too??

If you can't get it solved locally and get in a hurry I'd call Mike at Harbor Marine in Everett WA. Have had great luck purchasing from him.

Comment

I just rebuilt mine and having the same problem. There was scaring in my pump and the gear fit wasn’t good so I just ordered the whole front pump assembly. Depending on how old your clutch pack is you might be running into pressure problems.

Comment

So at 1500 RPM my trans is slipping, I’m at a loss.

Comment

So latest development. Got my boat back from the shop. They claim to have test drove it in a near by lake. Said nothing was wrong ran perfect. So I drop it in on my lake and take it for a spin. First turn, starts slipping. Second turn slips and stops. Motor revs way up. I’m now dead in the water. Get towed into the landing by a fisherman. Pull the plug and tons of oil Or ATF Floyd is coming out of my bilge. I can’t tell which at this point. Go to check my ATF Floyd after it cools down and it doesn’t even register on the stick. I checked it before going out and it was full.
              How would I find where it leaked out? Add some more and just look? Is this most likely an issue of the rebuild or the Reinstall?

Comment

Fluid*

Comment

Originally posted by gumby
                  They usually leak at the shifter. where the linkage attaches. Fill it up clean every thing with a good degreaser then dawn soap. puff on some baby powder take it to the lake. the powder will show you the leak. If it is the o rings on the shifter the are pretty easy to do your self. There are a few you tube videos out there on it.
                  I had the same issue... this site helped coach me through it. Super simple fix. You can probably feel some ATF fluid where it leaked out of. Looks it up. Tons of writes ups I bet. Let us know so you can help solve someone else’s problem too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought Yokes 21v and have a follow up to the transmission issues.

Long story short, the local transmission shop does not know what they are doing, they "rebuilt" it twice and it failed twice. I believe in second chances but not third so I sent the transmission to Hale Marine (https://www.halemarine.com) who correctly fixed it and it have had no issues with the transmission since (20+ hrs including fully weighted boat for surfing).

Hale Marine ended up having to replace the core (worn out bearing way), pump (scored), and other items that were not rebuildable, which further reinforces my opinion that the local shop is inadequate to rebuild marine transmissions since they stated that all components within the transmission were on good condition.

Comment

Working...
                    X