Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overheating: found a problem but how/why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overheating: found a problem but how/why?

A few weeks ago, we ran up on a sandbar at idle speed. Wasn't a problem getting off the sandbar, but I definitely churned up the mud and started overheating after that when cruising back to the ramps. Ok, I figured I sucked up some stuff. So, while I had other minor issues to fix, I have replaced the impeller/housing, the water pump, thermostat, and serpentine belt. Ran it on fake lake and thought it was good to go...

That was until I ran it on the lake today. Idling around it slowly goes to 175, but then once at cruising speed it will start heading above 200 after a couple minutes. I have to shut it down and then it's fine to idle around, but can't cruise for more than couple minutes without it going above 200-220 and alarming. So back at home now, I put in on the fake lake (not overheating) and there's an obvious difference in the amount of water coming out of the exhaust ports. Port side exhaust has way more water exiting than the starboard side. So I shut it down and inspect the engine. Crawling around the motor it's also obvious the port side exhaust manifold isn't too hot (I could do a handstand on it and not burn), but the starboard exhaust manifold could cook an egg. Also, there are two blue plugs on the engine block on the starboard side and the upper more forward one won't drip one drop of water. All the other blue plugs around the motor will drain water when opened.

Where's my blockage? In the engine block??? I appreciate your insight in advance. I feel like the summer is getting away...I currently have more hours in the bilge than on the lake.
    • I've double checked my impeller and housing
    • I have new water pump and thermostat (both marine, not auto)
    • I have found zero blockages in all other water hoses in the bilge and intake
    • Boat is 2000 21V Rider's Edition

What engine/year?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
      What engine/year?
      2000 Mercruiser 350 Mag MPI

Comment

Clean the trans cooler
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Always check how many teeth are missing when you pull an impeller. Whatever that number, times 3, is how many parts you get to fish out down stream ;-)
            Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
              Clean the trans cooler
              Chpthril, kudos to you! Boat ran smooth and never went a hair over 175 today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As a normal point of maintenance, we have learned over 20 years to replace the impeller annually. I will save you wasted time and maybe a tow in. You will get good at it!

Comment

Working...
                X