Phantom Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phantom Leak

I have a phantom leak in my 2100v. It's not constant. Sometimes fast, sometimes slow.

When it's fast, I usually run the bilge pump and she takes care of the problem. When it's really fast, 'ye ole bilge doesn't keep up and I get water all over the engine compartment, which is cause for BIG time concern, because it must come when I'm pulling my kids at slow speed and not on plane.

If I run the fake-a-lake, I get water pooling in the bilge, which makes me think the leak is related to the fresh water intake, but the rubber seal looks good.

Ideas anyone?

Maybe I should have the rubber seals replaced on the hull as part of winterization?

Sheb.

O-ring around a drain plug
    engine cooling pumps (has a weep hole)
    rusted freeze plug
    check and tighten all the hose clamps
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
      O-ring around a drain plug
      engine cooling pumps (has a weep hole)
      rusted freeze plug
      check and tighten all the hose clamps

Or any hose that may have rubbed against something creating a small hole that is hard to see at rest or is shoved up under the engine where it is very difficult to see.
      www.automarinecare.com CWB, ACME, FlyHigh, Merc Marine, PCM, Marine-power, WETSOUNDS, HSE Volume Controls, Kicker, Sony, Samson Sports, and many other marine parts or accessory's.

Comment

If you are getting water coming in on a fake a lake it should be pretty easy to track down by looking for the drips of water. Typically water could enter from
        1. Hose not properly seated
        2. Bearing shot in waterpump
        3. loose frost plug
        4. crack in manifold
        5. crack in block
        6. bad gasket in exhaust riser
        7. cracked heater core
        8. cracked muffler

The fact that its inconsistent is a little perplexing. Does it seem like water comes in faster at higher RPM's? Do you get water in the boat if the engine is off?

If you think its a bad water intake seal you can check by installing your plug and filling the bilge with water while the boat is on the trailer. Let gravity do its job.
        www.waterskis.com

Comment

Mine was a crack in the seam of the exhaust. Removed and covered with Marine Epoxy, good as new.

Comment

So did you ever find the phantom leak? Just curious for our own knowledge.
            www.automarinecare.com CWB, ACME, FlyHigh, Merc Marine, PCM, Marine-power, WETSOUNDS, HSE Volume Controls, Kicker, Sony, Samson Sports, and many other marine parts or accessory's.

Comment

Did anyone call the ghostbusters?
              Common Sense is not so Common
              Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

Ok- I thinki I know what this is- I went through this 2 years ago. The housing around your drive shaft is a pressure fitted, ring with a carbon fiber ring seated against a stainless steel ring on the shaft. It may look like it's in tact, but what happens over time is the set screw on the steel ring loosens and the rubber fitting stretches out losing the water-tight seal.

EASY fix- if the rubber is in good shape, loosen the set screw on the top of the steel fitting and push the fitting down toward the hull, creating pressure on the carbon gasket and steel ring- tighten the set screw(s)- there may be more than one very well- that should do it.

This housing is one of the best in the business- no-repacking needed- they just loosen up with vibration over time. I have the same boat so I would bet you a dollar this is the problem! the reason you may see water coming in on the fake a lake is many of these housings are water-cooled.

Good luck

Comment

Phantom Leak - many leads

Thanks for the replies. I haven't been on the site for a LONG time since shortly after I posted I had my boat winterized. I'll follow up on all your suggestions when she comes out of storage.

Comment

did you get this resolved? I am having same issues.

Comment

Originally posted by dwc View Post
                      did you get this resolved? I am having same issues.

HA - Yes- I wrote this 6 years ago. I still have the boat tho and this is an easy fix.

Comment

Working...
                      X