taking on water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

taking on water

I have a 2002 22i type r boat and at the end of last season I noticed my bilge was running more than ever. Today I found the problem water is coming from around the output shaft which gos through the hull. Has anyone had this problem and is this something that I should be able to repair or will it have to be repaired by a tige shop? Thanks in advance any and all help David

You need to adjust your packing nut and may have to repack it. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a link with a how to.
    Common Sense is not so Common
    Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

I have the solution. Have a dripless Prop Shaft Seal installed! I had the same issue last year and had one installed. However, if your packing is still good a few turns on the nut will work and not cost you any $$
      Honey I'm home!

Comment

Here is the link Spharis did for his dripless, great pics and info

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ht=packing+nut
        "I feel sorry for people that don't drink, when they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Comment

Originally posted by Fast1911 View Post
          Here is the link Spharis did for his dripless, great pics and info

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ht=packing+nut
          You kept the link for Spharis repacking his nuts...
          If its not fun, Why do it?

Comment

I just rearrange my nuts from time to time, repacking not so much!

Comment

Comment

Thanks for the input.I could not find a packing nut with a seal on my boat. It appears that my boat has a pss shaft seal and the preload for this type of seal with a 1.25 shaft diamenter is one inch of perload after stainless steel collar contacts the carbon seal. I have adjusted it but have not put it back in the water yet. I will post again after this weekend. Thanks for all the replys.

Comment

Originally posted by davidsauto View Post
                  Thanks for the input.I could not find a packing nut with a seal on my boat. It appears that my boat has a pss shaft seal and the preload for this type of seal with a 1.25 shaft diamenter is one inch of perload after stainless steel collar contacts the carbon seal. I have adjusted it but have not put it back in the water yet. I will post again after this weekend. Thanks for all the replys.
                  Hey, do you have any vibration at higher RPMs? Might want to have the shaft checked to make sure it's not bent or out of alignment.
                  Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

... It appears that my boat has a pss shaft seal and the preload for this type of seal with a 1.25 shaft diamenter is one inch of perload after stainless steel collar contacts the carbon seal. ...
                    Our boat came with the PSS shaft seal and after sitting for 2 years we had a leak when it was put in the water.
                    We idled around for a few minutes and it kept getting better.
                    After 10 minutes or so the leak was gone.
                    I suspect there was some corrosion buildup of some sort between the carbon ring and the SS ring that reseated after use.

Comment

I will check the shaft with a dial indicator before this weekend. As for viberation at high rpms if there is it is no worse than it was when I bought the boat but thats not saying it doesnt have. I will pay more attention to it when I put it in the water this weekend if I don't find a bent shaft. Does anyone know how much runout is acceptable for a direct drive shaft?

Comment

I will check the shaft with a dial indicator before this weekend. As for viberation at high rpms if there is it is no worse than it was when I bought the boat but thats not saying it doesnt have. I will pay more attention to it when I put it in the water this weekend if I don't find a bent shaft. Does anyone know how much runout is acceptable for a direct drive shaft?
                        With the PSS it should never drip
                        Common Sense is not so Common
                        Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

Agree with zad0030, with PSS it should never drip. Did hear of a guy that forgot to pull the plug and had rainwater freeze in the winter and that screwed up the PSS. Other than that it should not leak.

Comment

Working...
                          X