Serp Belt replacement...help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serp Belt replacement...help!!!

I am pretty sure my 2000 20i needs a new serp belt. The motor is making a squealing noise and best I can tell that belt is the culprit and a more experienced friend concurred the belt was the issue (as opposed to, say, bearings). How hard is the belt to swap out? Wondering anyone might be able to give me a quick heads up on the steps as I would love to avoid having to take it to dealer for this if possible . Thanks in advance, Billy.

If the belt looks to be in good shape, try cleaning it first: With engine running, take a wire brush and gently apply it to the grooved side of the belt so the bristles scrub the groves out. Next, shut engine off and take a finger tip full of Dielectric grease (about as much as if you were going to brush your teeth) and apply it to an easy-to-reach grooved spot of the belt, start engine and let it idle and squeak should go away. Oh. check and adjust tension also.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks. I'll give it a go. As far as tension, what is the best way to adjust it and where do I ideally it want it?

Thanks again.

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
      If the belt looks to be in good shape, try cleaning it first: With engine running, take a wire brush and gently apply it to the grooved side of the belt so the bristles scrub the groves out. Next, shut engine off and take a finger tip full of Dielectric grease (about as much as if you were going to brush your teeth) and apply it to an easy-to-reach grooved spot of the belt, start engine and let it idle and squeak should go away. Oh. check and adjust tension also.

Comment

You'll need a special tool to tighten the belt if you replace it. Word of caution...the merc parts listed for the belt aren't always accurate.
        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

on my 2002 21v the tensioner is the idle pulley, a 5/16 box wrench to adjust tension, and a 5/8 box wrench to lock it down. I have had my belt off 100 times or more due to a problem with my sea water pump. If I have a weak battery the engine will crank, but not fire, the backfires and spins backwards, causing the water pump impeller to get cocked the wrong way. Boat would then start and the water pump would not spin. Had to manually spin it back the correct way.

Comment

Originally posted by billys View Post
            ... How hard is the belt to swap out? ...
            It's not any harder than changing a regular automotive belt.
            Do you have the 350 Mag MPI ? If so, the idler pulley is the tension adjuster and removal point.
            I've been using a Prestone belt for 40 hrs with no problems.
            Others that are equivalent to the Prestone are: serpentine belt, 88”, 6 groove - Merc - 57-807755-4, Prestone - 880K6, Gates - K060880, Dayco - 5060880, Sierra - 18-15112.
            Just take yours to the parts store and they can match it up.
            Keep your old one or buy a second for an emergency.

Comment

Thanks very much for the info.

Originally posted by R&T Babich View Post
              It's not any harder than changing a regular automotive belt.
              Do you have the 350 Mag MPI ? If so, the idler pulley is the tension adjuster and removal point.
              I've been using a Prestone belt for 40 hrs with no problems.
              Others that are equivalent to the Prestone are: serpentine belt, 88”, 6 groove - Merc - 57-807755-4, Prestone - 880K6, Gates - K060880, Dayco - 5060880, Sierra - 18-15112.
              Just take yours to the parts store and they can match it up.
              Keep your old one or buy a second for an emergency.

Comment

Working...
              X