steering calbe replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steering calbe replacement

Steering cable has been stiff (almost can't turn) since purchased the boat. 2006 22i

Trying to pull steering cable through and keeps hanging up - any suggestions. Can I remove rack & pinion from cable?

Easier to replace the whole thing as a unit. Good luck

-Mike
    Ambivalent? Yes. Or Not.

Comment

Replaced my cable last summer following this tread: http://www.wakeboatworld.com/index.p...d=29&Itemid=35 The only thing I did different was I only took out the bolt circled in yellow and just left the bracket on the tiller arm. I also greased the rudder while I was under there. My boat took a 18' Teleflex replacement cable (pm SPBFAN for a price) that you can get from almost any marine parts distributor or your dealer. It took me little over an hour to install and it steers like a new boat now.

Comment

Sorry - writing for my husband and made error. Boat is a 21i and he is having a hell of a time getting the old cable out. Not much room to pull near steering wheel and is hanging up. Do you have any idea what length steering cable he needs. We can't get any response from Tige or local repair shop. He believes that we may have a steering cable for a 22' installed in our 21' boat and that is the crux of the problem. We have investigated thru teleflex, but no response yet?

Comment

The other thing that he mentioned when looking at the website that you referred us to is that the picture shows the rack with the cable coming out toward port side. Our cable was coming out towards starboard and he believes that was a major part of the problem.

Comment

Here is a thread that may help you out.

How to change a steering cable.

Comment

Hope you got the cable replaced - I had no problems like you are having. I posted the web link since the ones on here were for v-drives. Actually it was written up by our own member zad0030 when they owned a 21i.Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
              X