Steering Cable bad after 2 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Cable bad after 2 years?

I just got back from overseas and took my '05 22i out yesterday for the first time. Great weather, great company, a wonderful time, except.....

My friggin steering is stiff and sticky already!! And I mean real bad, not just starting.

I bought the boat in spring '06 as a leftover, so have only used it 2 seasons so far. It seems a little soon to have to replace it. My '98 pre2002 didn't start to go for 7 or 8 years.

Anyway, I replaced the cable on my '98, can I assume this process will be similar? Any idea what a cable will run me?

Thanks for the help, I only have a few weeks home and want to get it fixed for my wife before I leave.

Try this link.

Comment

It seems like they deteriorate rapidly if there is water in the bilge.

Welcome home.
      Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Steering cable bad after 2 years - ditto

I have the same issue after two years...it is bull!

Comment

I had the same issue on mine. I believe teleflex has a 2 year waranty on the cable.

I was told always to keep the boat turned fully to the left I think and it keeps the end out of the water. Never verified if this was true though.
          Let it be!!!

Comment

What is strange is that when I put the boat up last fall it was perfect, nothing wrong at all.

Now I can barely turn the wheel, it seemed to go from fine to terrible at once.

It does suck, to have to replace it so soon.

Comment

Mine is currently in the shop to have the cable replaced. The guy with whom I made my service appointment was happy though..."Oh, a Tigé...those are easy. I just did a Malibu and they suck!"

His words, not mine!

-Mike
              Ambivalent? Yes. Or Not.

Comment

Originally posted by xpjim1 View Post
                ... I was told always to keep the boat turned fully to the left I think and it keeps the end out of the water. ...
                I heard this, too. It makes sense. Turn the steering wheel full left and then full right while checking the steering cable connection at the rudder. At full right the cable is fully extended and full left the cable shaft is fully retracted into the housing. With the cable fully retracted into the housing it is less likely to develop corrosion on the shaft when stored for long periods.

Comment

I'll probably be putting one in the 06 before next season,
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks to Lee for the fantastic detail on his cable replacement thread. I did mine just a few days after his posting and it was EASY on my direct drive...also greased the rudder nipple while I was at it.

Comment

I had to replace mine at the beginning of this season, the steering was so tight my shoulders were sore after a day on the lake. I was shocked how easy it was to replace on my 05 22i, the hardest part is squeezing in the bilge to reach the rudder bolt.

Comment

check and see how tight a circle the cable makes as it leaves the rack under the wheel. if it is tight like it was on my 22v, the stiffness could be caused from too small a radius in that turn causing the cable to rub a rough place in that bend. we bought a size longer cable, flipped the rack over, flipped the gear on the steering shaft, and have three years on the new one. only two years on original. we went from about a 10 in radius to prolly three feet. get you a calculator and count how many complaints on this website about two year old steering cables.

Comment

Working...
                        X