A need for Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A need for Speed

So I just bought a 2001 21i with 60hrs on It. so I got the boat out a couple times and I am topping out at about 34mph. I know this is largely due to the fact that I live in Colorado. I read all kinds of things in the owner manuals about how to get the speed back because of the alltitude. I just wanted to know what anyone else has done to correct this problem I am currently running a 4 blade prop. The dealer said that a 3 blade will get me about 4mph but I know that there has got to be some engine mods that can gain that power back also. will happy skiing everyone I am headed to the Lake
    Crazy J
    I'm going old school- I'm bring back the SKURFER!!!!!!

There is usually a trade-off: speed for hole-shot. Have to ask - how much speed are you after?

Comment

What were the RPM's at that speed?

Comment

Sounds like maybe some slack in your throttle cable or something not letting you get the full RPM range would be my guess. I have a 98 2100 with 4 blade and top out at around 44 with just me in the boat on glass. Also what was your taps set at?
        How can I be racist when all of my assault rifles are black?

Comment

My 1997 2150i would only max out at 36-38. It did not matter if it was a 4 blade or 3 blade.
          If its not fun, Why do it?

Comment

Again what RPM is it spinning at that speed. A different 3 or 4 blade prop may allow the motor to spin closer to redline if it is topping out at 4500rpm, etc.
            "a what? i can['t] say/spell/pronounce that word..." - wannabewakeboarder
            "the plural of boo is booze."

Comment

Originally posted by jwanck11 View Post
              There is usually a trade-off: speed for hole-shot. Have to ask - how much speed are you after?
              Will I was think 36 at least.

Comment

Originally posted by rogersbm82 View Post
                Sounds like maybe some slack in your throttle cable or something not letting you get the full RPM range would be my guess. I have a 98 2100 with 4 blade and top out at around 44 with just me in the boat on glass. Also what was your taps set at?
                Where due you live? Thats with the taps between 0-2

Comment

Originally posted by evil0ne View Post
                  Again what RPM is it spinning at that speed. A different 3 or 4 blade prop may allow the motor to spin closer to redline if it is topping out at 4500rpm, etc.
                  the RPM's are at like 3400 to 3600 thats all

Comment

Do you know what size prop you have now?

Comment

I live in Texas, I forgot about the altitude for you but I wouldn't think that would make THAT much of a difference. I could be wrong though. It's been a while since I have been in my boat at WOT but I think it maxed out at 4,000 or 4,500 RPMS. I would figure you would be in the same range, but I don't have to deal with altitude so that throws in a variable that I am unfamiliar with.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
                        Do you know what size prop you have now?
                        its a 4 blade 13"

Comment

I had my '02 20V at Tahoe (6,200 ft) and I noticed the hole shot was --- shot with the stock 13x13 prop. Once it got going though it was fine and would cruise right along. I don't know the WOT speed though unfortunately.

I'll venture you have other issues if you're not getting at least 4,000-4,200 RPM. What's your elevation? Regardless of the low hours you may want to do a full tune-up (plugs, cap, rotor) and run some Chevron Techroline (sp) injector cleaner through it.

BTW, how are you checking your speed? The speedometers can be off by a lot and you may want to try a GPS.

Comment

Most direct drives that Tige sold came with stock 3 blades. You might consider going back to one of those. The 4-blade will reduce your top end when compared to a comparable 3-blade.
                            Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Also is your engine fuel injected or carbureted?

Comment

Working...
                              X