advice needed - to buy or not: 2000, 20i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

advice needed - to buy or not: 2000, 20i

So I am buying my first boat, a very clean 2000 20i, 75 hours on it, well maintained. I love the boat and am buying it promarily for recreational skiing w/friends and family.

Question is whether I am asking for trouble as far as nosediving the bow given that I will be using it on large lakes and in the connecticut river, both of which can have pretty choppy conditions and larger boat wakes to contend with.

A few folks have indicated that it might be a problem so it's giving me some second thoughts. Experience/insight/advice from any of you would be greatly appreciated.

Seems one solution is to run with the front cover on in choppy water?

Bottom line - is this a boat I should not buy because of this given that I am not that experienced, or should some common sense on the water be enough to guide me.

thanks

I run a 22ir in the Chesapeake Bay near the canal that connects it to the Delaware Bay. The wakes are as large as they will ever get given the vessels that travel the waters and the chop gets down right nasty to say the least. I have not had any problems...

In any case, do take in as much information as you can, preferrably go out with someone that has a lot of experience, and then make your decision. If you can get a ride in that particular boat, all the better.

Good Luck.

Comment

I have a 2000 21i Riders, the only time I nose dive the boat is when I am turning to pick up a skier after they fell and I turn too quick without backing up. The bow rides too high out of the water when cruising. Don't sweat it, 75 hours is sweat. I just hit 450 on mine.
      "I feel sorry for people that don't drink, when they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Comment

Just be careful, choppiness isnt much of a problem, but rollers will be.
        Common Sense is not so Common
        Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

who takes rollers head on? I deal with 60 foot bohemoths that push water like its their job... Again, get out on the water with someone with a lot of experience (not one that says so...) and learn all that you can.

Comment

I have an '01 21i and I take it out to big lakes (Lake Powell) all the time. You just have to be smart when your driving it. I haven't bow washed in over a year now but you always have to be paying attention. It will make you a better driver because if you can drive one of these you can drive about anything without bow washing.

Comment

If you have the toneau cover for it, just put it on and you have no worries. If not, the other guys had some great suggestions.
              Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

as a 20i owner you should have no problem w/some common sense.
                If you are running w/weight in the center walk thru you need to ease out of the throttle when your rider falls.
                I boat on some busy and choppy lakes here and have never had a problem. You can always use the taps to lift the nose of the boat if you want. Also be aware of how you are crossing waves.
                -- test drive the boat on a busy or windy day.
                - buy it and have fun ... thats why we all are here.

Comment

I have a 2000 20i, and I don't think you should have a problem. That being said, at slow speeds you have to be careful. My dad puts waves over my bow rather frequently. Me on the other hand, never had a problem. I hit the fireworks in it on the fourth and didn't take a single wave over the bow on the way home and there were lots of boats out. The boat is a lot of fun. You'll love it

Comment

Thanks very much for all the input; really appreciated. I looked at the boat and it's super clean, drives great, no issues that I can see. Has anyone bought or sold a 20i of this vintage recently? Curious as to any price info anyone might have. Other than a very clean trailer, this boat has no accessories included in the deal. Seller is aking $16K. Thanks again.

Comment

Buy it.
                      You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post
                        Buy it.
                        x2. Older Tiges are built like tanks. If it was well cared for, that's a good price.
                        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

16K for a boat that has 75 hours? Wow... I mean wow!

Just want to make sure the seals are all in tact not having run very much over the last 8 years... I would run it again: look, listen and feel for any leaks/seepage and then pull the trigger.

Comment

I bought a 1999 2100i last summer and have absolutely loved it. These things are bullet proof, with the exception of basic preventive maintenance and a rare issue the boat runs like a champ. You will take water over the bow sometimes as it is relatively unavoidable in certain situations - - like when I am coerced into pulling the tube for the kids.

Are there days when I wish I had a little more freeboard? Sure. My buddy has a 24 ft Chaparral I've been out on a bunch. Great boat. Very comfortable when it is really rough and just great for pulling a tube or someone on a pair of skis. And I grew up with that kind of boat (smaller but a runabout). But I absolutely love the performance of a competition ski boat. Whether I am on my slalom ski, actually running a course or wakeboarding the boat is exceptional. The other nice thing about riding lower to the water is picking up the skier/rider/skis.

Just my

Comment

brought it home....

and took her out last night for a first spin. Had a blast. thanks for the advice/encouragement

My daughter was ecstatic.

Now I just need to buy some skis. Advice on that topic encouraged & welcomed .

Thanks,

billy

Comment

Working...
                              X