Tranny oil question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranny oil question!

I have a 2003 21i, completed the winterization except for changing the tranny fluid, only because I forgot to but it. I was told to just use ATF in the tranny by a local boat dealer. Is that OK or should I run something else? Merc 350MPI motor in my boat.
    Thanks

Just realized I should have posed this in how to or maintanence forum

Comment

yes regular dextron/mercon is what you need.

Comment

Ditto
        ---v^---v^---v^_____---v^---v^ For a second there. I was bored to death!!

Comment

There are so many posts on winterizing that I am not sure what to do and what not to do... nick - - what did you do? Could you please list?
          Thanks.

Comment

Add stabil to gas tank - shake boat to disperse

Hook up fake a lake.
            Start motor, let it warm up.

Stop motor, hook up to pink antifreeze supply. (I used a 5 gall pail and some hose/fittings from the hardware store to supply the antifreeze through the fake a lake) Put supply up high on a ladder to get pressure via gravity.

After I saw pink coming out the exhaust, I sprayed fogging oil in through the throttle body, maybe 1/2 can.

Pink antifreeze kills grass. I didn't know this.

Shut off motor, change engine and tranny oil (I still have to do the tranny). Change oil filter and the fuel filter. Make sure to fill new fuel filter with fuel before putting it on.

Disconnect battery.

At some point clean everything, wax boat, empty all compartments, allow boat to dry, keep everything open on a warm dry day. The drier and cleaner the boat the less likely you are to have lots of mold.

Store all wet suits, etc in a warm dry environement, clean them too.

Drink beer.

Remove snowboard from storage.

Wait 5-6 months...........................................a t least in NH.

Put snowboard away.

Install new impellar.
            Clean the boat again.
            Hook up battery.
            Rip it.

Don't forget to maintain the trailer too. Bearings, brakes, tires, bunks if necessary, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by nickleuci View Post
              Add stabil to gas tank - shake boat to disperse

Hook up fake a lake.
              Start motor, let it warm up.

Stop motor, hook up to pink antifreeze supply. (I used a 5 gall pail and some hose/fittings from the hardware store to supply the antifreeze through the fake a lake) Put supply up high on a ladder to get pressure via gravity.

After I saw pink coming out the exhaust, I sprayed fogging oil in through the throttle body, maybe 1/2 can.

Pink antifreeze kills grass. I didn't know this.

Shut off motor, change engine and tranny oil (I still have to do the tranny). Change oil filter and the fuel filter. Make sure to fill new fuel filter with fuel before putting it on.

Disconnect battery.

At some point clean everything, wax boat, empty all compartments, allow boat to dry, keep everything open on a warm dry day. The drier and cleaner the boat the less likely you are to have lots of mold.

Store all wet suits, etc in a warm dry environement, clean them too.

Drink beer.

Remove snowboard from storage.

Wait 5-6 months...........................................a t least in NH.

Put snowboard away.

Install new impellar.
              Clean the boat again.
              Hook up battery.
              Rip it.

Don't forget to maintain the trailer too. Bearings, brakes, tires, bunks if necessary, etc.
              If I might suggest a slight change to your order. I would change oil and then run it one more time to circulate the fresh oil through the bearings and flush in marine antifreeze at this time. Used oil is corrosive and with out running the engine one more time, all the old oil will be left in the lifters, bearings, etc.

other then that, I think you got it
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Great. Thanks, and especially the mention about the pink stuff killing the grass! We run the boat in brackish water (fresh with salt) and so the guy I bought the boat from installed a hose, directly by the engine so after each use I can just hook up a hose and run clean/fresh water through for a while, without a fake lake. Can I just put the anti freeze in through there? Seems like it shouldn't be problem as long as I hold the bucket up for gravity feed.

And I will make sure I have plenty of beer as I help the boat dry

Comment

If I might suggest a slight change to your order. I would change oil and then run it one more time to circulate the fresh oil through the bearings and flush in marine antifreeze at this time. Used oil is corrosive and with out running the engine one more time, all the old oil will be left in the lifters, bearings, etc.

other then that, I think you got it
                  Good point.

Comment

Fit to be Tige....
                    One thing depending where the hose fitting is you may not get any antifreeze in the tranny. I made a system where I pull the hose off my inlet of the tranny or raw water pickup. I flush water and antifreeze there so I know it ran through the tranny and the engine just as if it was out on the lake. Then I know I have not missed any part of the cooling systme. Just a thought. I would hate to have you tranny have issue due to it freezing.

Sam
                    15 Escalade ESV-Black
                    08 RZ2-Blue

Comment

Working...
                    X