Prop shaft Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prop shaft Seal

Hi there, I just bought a used Tige; 99 pre 2200iWT, and I am having problems with a leaky prop shaft. Anyone no how to replace the prop shaft seal, and what size of "waxie rope" to put in there. Obviously, I'm a newbie, with limited mechanicle experience. Is this a job that should be done by the shop? Any help would be apprecited. Thanks!!!

IMHO,, Have the shop do it.
    There are several good shops up your way.

Comment

Check out the How-To forum. There's a great thread on doing this. Click here to link to it.
      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I repacked mine for the first time last week and it was so simple you should have no problem at all. Just follow the above link and you will be fine.

Comment

Is there a certain number of hours when you should replace it?

Comment

When I asked this question, they told me about 150 hours. I think mine lasted longer than that.
            Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Great thread, I'm pretty sure this is my problem as well. Seems to be leaking from that exact spot.

Thanks Guys!!!

Comment

One question, my boat is on a lift. I assume I'm able to access this by removing the floor panel by a series of screws in the boat. Is that correct?

Comment

I am doing a writeup with photos of my PSS install. I also did the writeup on the regular rope style packing install. I should have that posted by Friday. I have had to keep retightening the GOR packing since I installed it to keep it "drip free" as they put it. It gets old pulling the cover panels and redoing it every other weekend, so I dropped the cash on the PSS shaft seal at skidim's recommendation.

Not 100% sure on your boat, but on mine; pull the rear seat and seatback, pull the motor cover off, there is a panel that can now be removed. You have super easy access to everything.
                  http://www.wakeboatworld.com
                  []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

thanks! lookin fwd to the writeup!

Comment

Thanks!!

Thanks for the help, especially spharis. I did the job myself, and it took about 15-20 minutes. I put about 7 hours on the boat last weekend with very little leaking. Maybe about 1 drip every 3-4 seconds. I believe it should be 1 drip every 10 seconds. Thanks Again!!

Comment

Working...
                      X