2005 switch - surf wave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2005 switch - surf wave

Hi guys, totally happy with the slalom wake on my boat! but struggling to get a good surf wake.

I started by adding 540l in the locker and 375 up front. Not enough wave to surf without the rope.

Then added a suck gate which improved the wave but still not enough to surf without the rope.

the acme 515 prop is great for slalom but struggled with the ballast at low speeds, so I went up a prop to the acme 525. this new prop is in a better gear and holds speed much better around 11 or 12 without bogging down. better wave at low speed, but still not enough to surf with a rope.

i know, I know, more ballast!

so I added another 850 bag and put this in the locker, put the 540 up front and the 375 behind the motor. almost there! my 19 year son can find the sweet spot and surf without the rope but as soon as he tries any turns he loses the wave. I think it is just still too soft. With the extra weight i am struggling to get a wave at 11-12, have to be going 14-15 and not the best wave.

so, long story, but here is my question. still more ballast to be added, or do I need to go one more step on the prop to the acme 911?

I'm afraid the 911 will ruin the slalom wake.

btw, the acme prop selection page is awesome, you can dial in size, weight and altitude!

https://acmemarine.com/pages/custom-fit

thanks, any suggestions are appreciated.

starting to think the hull design is just not meant for surfing!

No, it’s not meant for surfing. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Switch i surf wake. However, you have way more than enough weight. Without seeing any pics, we can’t see what’s going on. You’re speed sounds way off. 14-15? Those are ridiculously fast numbers. Nobody does that unless they are just screwing around for fun. I have one the better D-drive surf wakes around and I only run 10.5 generally.

Wait, you’re not running on a man made ski lake are you?

FWIW, I run a 911 on my boat and love it. I’ve skied more than I’ve surfed this season.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Not the same hull either, but I run a 911 prop and 10.3-10.5 MPH as well.
      Very little change to the wake. Not enough to complain about at my skill level.
      Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

^^^For sure not the same hull as ours.

Comment

It’s the same running surface as the 20v though, right?

Comment

Thanks guys, I was thinking the 911 is the prop I need to slow things down, so glad to hear you can still slalom with that prop. Skiing is my first choice and two of my kids slalom as well, but that is only for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening and the boys want to surf during the day. No ski course for us, we are out in the open water on big lakes.

I'll take some pics next time I am out. but thinking I'll order the 911 and keep the 525 as a spare.

Comment

What taps setting are you running?

Comment

we played all day monday with taps, speed, and location of the wave shaper gate.

I thought taps at 4 had the best wave. and moving the shaper a little forward of the far back of the boat seemed to help as well.

need another day on the water to keep playing. that was the first day will the additional 850 ballast.

I was also thinking the speedo may not be working properly.

I assume you are all using perfect pass? I don't have this....yet! so watching the speedo dial bounce around under load.

Comment

I’ve only surfed a 20v once or twice and that was years ago. I remember it being fairly terrible. The platform was hanging in the wake so bad that it just killed the face. It was surfable but, it wasn’t good. That might be why it looks so much better at 14. That’s when your platform no longer hits the wake. Honestly, this thread should be in the general topics area. I doubt any 20v owners are even seeing this. The D-drive section is a bit of a museum around here these days. Cold, dark, lonely.

Comment

Don't worry, I just entered the "Cold, dark, lonely" world too... recently by picking up a 2005 Switch 20i. Wife loves to slalom and refuses the V drive. I can surf it without the rope using an 850 in the trunk and a 650 next to the motor or in the bow walk way. I also use a Liquid Force Edge shaper. I love that thing, the suction is amazing (I've tried a few others on prior boats and nothing stayed put). I wish I would have purchased the bigger surface area shaper they offer though. The shaper also fits in the lower part of the spray pockets on the hull without being too big. So far Taps in the middle at 4 has worked best. I would suggest a couple things:
                    Get a speedometer app for your phone and use it to measure your speed. I don't have PP but we manage to get the speed around 11 using an app.
                    Use the biggest boards you can get your hands on. I have a harder time on smaller, skim style boards, where the larger surf style boards provide extra float.
                    I'm looking to upgrade from the factory prop and hope that helps too (probably the 911 too).

I forgot to mention, I raised the swim platform up using 2x4's. It was definetely washing out the wave. I plan on building one that is narrower soon.
                    Last edited by PBTige; 08-08-2019, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Went out last night, but it ended up being to windy/wavy to do anything other than a rope swing on one of the islands!

I did check speedo using phone app. looks like the boat is 1-2mph faster than app. boat reads 14, phone app reads 12 or 13.

do you have a pick of how you raised the platform? just added wood blocks between fiberglass and metal?

The swim platform does seem to be getting in they way.

i ordered a 911 prop from wakemakers yesterday!

Comment

Can't wait to hear some feedback on the prop! Tell me what you think at ski speeds too (RPM, change in wake shape?).
                        On the platform, yes I just ripped pressure treated 2x4s and got longer screws at the hardware store to fit. Not pretty, but it did help a little.
                        I'm trying to figure out what material to use for my DIY swim platform. I may just use standard pine as a test to see how the shape and design work before spending a lot of $.

I think ballast on the side of the engine has been the best so far. I intend to get another bag so I can have one there and in the bow. I also put 3 sacks of 50lb fence post mix in each of the compartments behind the front seats. There's room for lots more in there, so I may add to that. Downside is it doesn't drain and will create some unwanted size on the slalom wake.

Comment

Here's what I threw together to shrink the swim platform... hoping to test this weekend. It's not pretty, but if functional, I will remake in something nicer. R&D stage only!
                          IMG_1833.jpg

Comment

These i's love to be listed. Lots of weight and lean them over.

I realize I might have an extra foot on you (I think the switch is 20'?) But my 04 21i surfs damn near just as nice as any newer boat. It just takes longer to setup.

I run a 750 in the rear locker, 370 under the rear seat behind motor, 400 on surf side of engine (this one swaps for goofy/regular) 725lb V-shaped bow sac either on top of seats with small crew or below seats with large crew. And once in a while a 370 in the walk way to the bow if we have a small crew. Then have passengers sit more towards surf side to create a little more list. I find that if its not listed enough, the platform will get into the wave. If you're experiencing that just list it more (usually only takes moving one extra person to surf side.) Also run a mission delta shaper. Rarely ever use taps. Speed about 10.5. Slower gets really rampy for riders learning/needing more push. Faster for a really long wave.

Also try to stay out of shallow water. 15' minimum

Last, for what its worth. I run a 911 prop and its surfs fantastic but will also still hit 45 mph. I tow barefooters often and 40mph is no problem.

Wave.jpg
                            Wave2.jpg
                            Last edited by Maas562; 08-19-2019, 01:59 AM.

Comment

That looks pretty nice - I'm going to need more weight!

Comment

Working...
                              X