Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with a stern tube / shaft log part?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with a stern tube / shaft log part?

I just tore things down to replace the boot for the dripless seal on the driveshaft of our 2006 22i. However, the tube that the boot clamps down on is eaten away on one side! I've attached a photo, but I am trying to find out where to find a part like that, and can I just replace the tube, or do I have to get the whole assembly with those mounting plates, etc? 20180815_125340_resized.jpg

Whole assembly and shaft has to come out. Look closely at the shaft and I bet you will see wear in the stainless shaft where rubbed its way thru the shaft log. Look for super shiny stainless and maybe even some brass color on the shaft, it tends to just shine up the stainless as the log it a lot softer than the stainless and it basically just burnishes the stainless . I would be looking at motor mounts to see if a bushing has failed or some other alignment issue. Unless Im way off and you cant see any rub marks on the shaft. If thats the case then this is probably a previous issue(and new shaft) that someone else rectified and just covered up the log with the shaft seal instead of doing everything right. Just my guess though. I dont have a part number off hand but if you get desperate could probably figure it out.
    Last edited by freeheel4life; 08-15-2018, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks - I am worried about mis alignment as the cause, but hoping like you said maybe someone took care of that problem already - its a 2006 and we are at least 2nd owner... I figure now that I have it apart this far, might as well do the cutlass bearings as well. Then we will see what things look like alignment wise. I just wish Tige had more parts diagrams out there, and ordering stuff was not such a PITA...

Comment

Working...
      X