Maximum Safe Ballast Question 2005 22i Direct Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maximum Safe Ballast Question 2005 22i Direct Drive

I have searched the forum and have seen lots of info regarding how much ballast people run. My wife is freaked out that I'm going to sink the boat by adding ballast to surf. I've run 600#'s in the surfside locker but that's the most. I just purchased 2 750# Bags to go along with my 600# and 250#. Question is, how much is too much realistically? I have read some v-drives running 1200# surfside and weight in the bow, but I need some assurance for my wife. Not looking for boat settings necessarily (although appreciated), just a safe weight. My kids can surf without the rope as it is, but my fat butt can't (185#'s) so I'm looking to improve the wave.

I would assume your maximum capacity for the boat is around 1500#s. However, that is dry meaning no tower, no fuel, no supplies, nothing but the bare boat. So legally, you're more than likely over the legal limit. However, those listed capacities (you should have a sticker in your boat) are busted nearly every time out by nearly every one of us with an older boat. I’ve run 1000#s and 10 people in my boat and I feel lucky to have not sunk the thing. The wake sure was nice though. I don’t do that kind of thing anymore now that I have kids.

I’m guessing there’s something more to your issue. Ballast is not the end all be all in wake surfing. I’ve surfed my boat with zero ballast and just my wife driving so I know it can be done.

What board are you riding? What are your settings? What exactly is your set up? How long have you been wake surfing?
    You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post
      I would assume your maximum capacity for the boat is around 1500#s. However, that is dry meaning no tower, no fuel, no supplies, nothing but the bare boat. So legally, you're more than likely over the legal limit. However, those listed capacities (you should have a sticker in your boat) are busted nearly every time out by nearly every one of us with an older boat. I’ve run 1000#s and 10 people in my boat and I feel lucky to have not sunk the thing. The wake sure was nice though. I don’t do that kind of thing anymore now that I have kids.

I’m guessing there’s something more to your issue. Ballast is not the end all be all in wake surfing. I’ve surfed my boat with zero ballast and just my wife driving so I know it can be done.

What board are you riding? What are your settings? What exactly is your set up? How long have you been wake surfing?
      Boat: 2005 22i
      Wakeshaper: SWELL
      Speed: 10-11.5 MPH
      TAPS2: 4-6
      Board: CWB Tsunami
      Experience: just started last season but have snowboarded for 20 years, wakeboarded 20+.

The wave is surfable for me and my wife, I just can't let go of the rope and stay on the wave. Kids can, but sweet spot seems close to the boat and early in the wave.

jakewake.jpg
      samwake.jpg
      board.jpg

Comment

The first thing that jumps out at me as an issue is that board. I’ve never ridden it but, tradition says it’s slow. I’ve got a freind that has a earlier version of that board and it got put on the shelf immediately after I let him use one my boards. It hasn’t seen the light of day since.

I’m not a fan of the sucgate anymore. Have you tried running without it and just good old fashioned listed? Just curious. There’s honestly not a lot of info out there on how to set your boat up. While we both have a 22i, yours is completely different from mine. Again, traditional setups in d-drives don’t run bow weight for surfing. Sink the surfside corner until you get the rubrail to the water. Again, I’m not very familiar with your boats capabilities but from your pics, there’s got to be more wake in it than that.

I don’t see a need for running 11.5mph until you get a wake you really like out of it. I’d keep it between 10-10.5 with no gate and taps 8. Surfside locker full and people on the surfside. From there I would adjust speed only and see what you get. If it’s washed out at the top, increase your speed a tic.

Does your platform hang in the wake? I assume not with the lack of list you have going at the moment but, it’s something you’ll want to check once you get the rubrail down to the water. If your platform hangs in the wake, it will cut a line in the face of it and really kill it. If it’s hanging, it’s time for modification.

There are some similarities between surfing and snowboarding but it kind of depends on the type of snowboarding you do. If you’ve been riding a long time, more than likely you’ve forgotten what it’s like to learn how to control a snowboard. It’s just second nature now and you probably don’t even think about it. You really can’t use your comfort on a snowboard to translate to any sort of technique to learn to surf. You’d have to go back to when you were 6yo and just learning. I teach snowboarding to kids in the winter and the one thing I drill into their heads is FRONT FOOT. FRONT FOOT. FRONT FOOT. Get your weight on your front foot. You can’t control a snowboard from your back foot. Nor can you surf from your back foot. Get your front hip over your front front and work from there. Don’t use your head to transfer your weight. Use your hips. Stand up, bring your knees together, slide your hips. Wakesurfing is a constant battle of generating speed and when you’ve got issues with your setup, all you’re going to do is work to gain speed. You can’t gain speed when you’re on the brakes. If you’re not on your front foot, you are on the brakes. Imagine being on your snowboard at the top of the bunny hill and the lift is 100yards of flat away from the bottom of it. Gotta go go go from the top to carry the flat. Front foot. It sounds kinda of stupid but, I’ve had a lot of success helping people to surf ever since I had to “learn” to ride a snowboard again. After 30yrs of snowboarding I had forgotten how to struggle with control. Once you learn that beginner control again, everything starts to fall into place fast. I’ve actually become a better snowboarder because of it.

Sorry for the long post. I’ve got some down time right now and I’m bored.

Do you have an FAE?

Comment

Thanks Nickypoo, that's kinda the answer I was looking for. The snowboard analogy was spot on so I'll try and "relearn" this weekend when I'm on the water. I figured out the front foot to pick up speed but always end up "on the brakes" once I found the sweetspot. I'll start with the ballast in the surfside locker with a goal of the rubrail at the water and use speed to clean it up. Thank you so much! Regarding the board, I have some friends with other boards so I'll try one of theirs. This board was a craigslist purchase cuz I'm too cheap to drop $500 on a new board. Can't wait to try your suggestions out.....thanks again!

No FAE at the moment.

Comment

You get what you pay for.

Definitely try some other boards out. A good board can make all the difference.

Comment

Working...
            X