Question about a wake shaper on 97 2150 DD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about a wake shaper on 97 2150 DD

Hi guys this is my first post and I don’t know if anybody still gets on here but I have a question. I have a 97 2150 DD and I have been wanting to buy a wake shaped for my boat but can’t seem what to get because on my specific boat. There is a section where it drops down and it’s small enough that you can’t put any of the regular wake shapers on it because the suction cups are to big meaning it won’t go deep enough in the water to make a difference. Has anybody figured anything thing out on these year models in the wake shaper marker? Here’s a picture for reference. Thanks for your input. F537D0F9-007C-4D9C-B7E4-2E3D97AFADFB.jpg

Welcome to the site and the 2150 club. Thanks for the picture.
    I have used quite a few of the different suck gates. I have made my own and demoed the Nautical, Mission Delta and Wake Surf Edge Pro.
    Currently we are using the Wake Surf Edge Pro. http://www.wakesurfedge.com
    They all have fit in different pouting methods. I place it above the lower step. We are adding ballast that lowers the transom down to the rub rail.
    Are you adding any weight to your boat?
    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

IMG_0577.jpg

I use the "Swell" wakeshaper on mine and it looks similar to yours. It's hard to tell the actual width you have available, but the Swell fits mine and works great.

Comment

Many of us have sucgates. I did a bunch of testing a couple weeks ago and found that my wake is much better without one. The thing is, that hull is probably the single best surfing traditional D-drive ever built. It already has a great wake with nothing more than ballast. A sucgate on it is kind of like putting a bandaid on for no reason. Mine is the same basic hull. I’ve been surfing it since ‘03 and I’ve tried lots of configurations. What it likes more than anything is weight in back corner. If you can get the rubrail in the water, you’ll have a very respectable wake.

If you want to try one out, make one. It’s not hard and you’ll save yourself a couple hundred dollars.
        You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

I haven’t added any ballast weight yet. That is my next purchase. How much weight do you need on the back to weigh it down to the rub rail? Thanks for replying

Comment

Thanks for the info. Yes I do notice that it puts out a really good wake. I will definitely put some weight in the boat now.

Comment

Mine holds ~450 (closer to 500 but, I call it 450) in each corner after the conversion. I run the surf side full and the off side about half full, 250 or so. TAPS on 8, speed between 10-11mph depending on people. More people = more speed.

Comment

Get in touch with chpthril on here. He is the man for ballast. http://www.mikesliquidaudio.com

Comment

Mine has spray pockets or chimes or something like that just not sure what there called but the hull steps in. I bought a nauta curl and modified to fit with a die grinder and an sanding grinder
                  IMG_0930.jpgIMG_0929.jpgIMG_0928.jpg

Comment

Do you run any weight up front?

Comment

It is hard to buy something and right out of the box mod it to fit but I didn't have much choice didn't want to send it back.It took about an hour to get it ground down to fit. My wave is really nice IMO. Not listed but it is a V.

Comment

I do 700 or so. The back is probably close to the same as far as the spray pocket (or what ever it is called) but like I said mine is a 2000 V so not the same boat but kinda sorta. Just wanted to show that you can get one on there low enough with a little mod. I did try the DIY first. couldn't get it stay on.& The springs inside kept rusting. The curl has NEVER popped off. Mike Mc boat is 2005 might be an I drive but the hull is not even close to what we have. Not even the same planet. I don't think.
                        Last edited by gumby; 06-25-2018, 08:21 PM.

Comment

I have a good friend with a 21v and his boat is extremely easy to get a good surfwake out of. It’s almost infallible. A D-drive is much more finicky. It’s in there but, you have to coax it out.

The notches at the back of the hull are indeed called spray pockets. The idea being they help keep the spray down for shortline slalom skiing. The chines (not chimes) are actually called negative chines. The are the section of the hull fore of the spray pockets that are the “turned down” edges of the hull. They go opposite the entry V, hence the “negative”.

Nice work on that Nauticurl. It must have slightly smaller suction cups. That’s the only way you could get something on that particular section. The DIY HOD sucgates won’t fit there due to the suction cups being too big.

Comment

Thank you for the clarification on the spray pocket chine thing. Some times I am not a smart man.and it is why i did offer any advice on ballast they are not the same boat. Direct drives are a different animal all together. After having one 15 years (supra comp) My advise would be if Nicktpoo gets a good wave i would defer to him. Just kinda know your boat and other boats that are like yours.(example) You can't take weight advice from me. Are boats different. shaper advice from me you can boats are similar. shaper advice from mikemcclan no boats are different. I believe spray pockets went away around 2002. Oh and 2016 RZ whatever...... you get nothing but to drool lol

Comment

Working...
                            X