Steering more to Left than Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering more to Left than Right

Hey Guys, looking for some help or advice. I just replaced the steering cable in my 2004 21i. The steering was tight, now it turns super easy which is great. I think I put everything back together correctly but when I looked at the ruder from outside the boat, I noticed I can turn the rudder way more to the left than the right. I would estimate it turns 40 degrees to the right and 60 degrees to the right. I didn't check it before so I am wondering if it always did that or if I need to adjust something?

When I look inside where I installed the cable to the rudder arm, I notice the rudder arm is going as far aft as possible to the point where it almost hits the fiberglass. So I don't see how it could possibly steer more to the right, but when I turn the wheel the other way it pulls the rudder arm towards the bow there are of course no obstructions so it pulls the rudder further. Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated!

Interesting question. I don't recall it even being asked before. Have you driven it?
    You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

No I haven't driven it yet since I replaced the steering cable. It is possible it always steered more one way than the other but I didn't notice it while driving the boat prior to replacing the cable. I'm scratching my head because I can't imagine how adjusting the cable would change anything, if I mounted the cable a little closer to the stern it would hit the rear fiberglass when i turn all the way. Puzzled...

Comment

I just looked at my rudder and it is the same as yours, it will turn more to port than starboard. I have not noticed a problem turning. The difference may be due to the prop rotation

Comment

Thanks for checking h2o-ski. I looked at mine again and it looks almost as if it steers double the amount on the port side. Like you said, maybe it has to do with prop rotation. I guess I'll wait until I take it out next time and see if I notice any limitations when steering. I'll post some pics of the rudder in each position to show you guys how much of a difference it is. You can tell me if it looks similar to yours.

Again really appreciate the feedback. I just bought the boat a couple of months ago so slowly going through it and fixing things. So far the new steering cable feels so much better, excited to get out on the lake and test it out!

Comment

I took the boat out last weekend to test it out and it all seemed fine. The boat definitely steers a little tighter to port, but it probably always did. What a difference a new steering cable makes though! It is so much easier maneuvering at slow speeds.

Comment

I'm not sure but aren't there cable adjusters! Maybe your cable is out of adjustment and is tight in one direction! Or possibly your rudder wasn't straight during install. Never done one but just some ideas

Comment

I don't know about adjusting the cable. It seems the only thing you can adjust is where the metal cable housing is set on the clamp box . I positioned mine so that when turned all the way to the right, the cable assembly is a quarter of an inch from hitting the fiberglass in the hull. That means that is the most I can possibly steer to the right. Here are some pics of the rudder in the full right and left position. (I threw in a pic of the boat itself too!)
                IMG_8139.jpgIMG_8136.jpgIMG_8135.jpg

Comment

Yep, just like mine. Though I did take it out last weekend and it turns the same in both directions with the exception at low idle where it does turn better to port than starboard.

Comment

Working...
                  X