1993 Tige 2000 slm comp Steering Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1993 Tige 2000 slm comp Steering Problems

Last night as I was driving my 1993 Tige 2000 slm comp, I turned and my steering suddenly became very difficult. When I looked behind the dash to see what was going on, I found that the cable had come out of the housing (see picture). Can someone help me know what I need to do to fix it?! Is it okay to just put it back in or do I need to replace it? I've found in the last couple years that the steering has become somewhat problematic, making sounds, sometimes hard to turn, etc., so I am assuming I should probably replace it, just don't know what exactly I need do to. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!!!

Tige Steering.jpg

Someone may have a better solution in terms of a repair, but a replacement cable is not going break the bank. I did one on my old boat and it was a few hour job and some skin off the knuckles but all in all a relatively easy job.
    My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

That's a little different rotary system than I'm use to. Hard to see what holds the cable into the groove. Most rotary are fully enclosed. At the least might be just a new cable, or it might be time to change the full steering system out. On my older boat I had to swap out the full system because I couldn't find the cable anymore. My current boat we had to try a cable because it didn't have a good cross reference cable number, but I got lucky.

Comment

The cable plus steering box is only $40 more... I would do the whole thing. West Marine has them. Check on the cable housing for the part number which will include the length in the part number. Or, just pull the cable and bring it with you. 2 hr job if you don't have other issues. I made a couple of mistakes. The first was attempting to run it over the top of the tank to help keep it out of the water that gathers in the hull from time to time... those cables are stiff and there is exactly what you need, no more, no less. So if you plan to change the route, you need to find a way to see how much shorter or longer you will need. Second mistake is pulling out the rope I left in place to string the new cable in. Was so sure over the tank was going to work I took it out. Bad call. What I am talking about is what you should do... before pulling the cable out towards the transom, duct tape a rope to the end so you will have a nice way to pull the new one through the same passage!

Comment

BTW, looks like the cable stretched and the next thing it will do is break. Don't chance it. I was glad I had an oar when mine went out... used the oar to steer while my wife drove with the rudder on center. Like white water rafting on steroids. But got us home.

Comment

I had to do mine on a 99 21i I did the rack and pinyon as well as the cable and it is so smooth and definitely worth doing everything the first time.

Comment

Working...
            X