1996 pre2002wt fuel injection conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1996 pre2002wt fuel injection conversion

Just in case anyone finds this interesting...

We've owned the 1996 Tige for about 5 years and have enjoyed it immensely. I bought it from the original owner with 186 hours on it. Already had samson tower, Ryan trailer, and a real nice custom speed cover. It's been really trouble free (except for the one time I nailed a rock and shoved the prop into the bottom of the boat...). My only gripe is that I seem to need to have the carb rebuilt each spring. Stored inside, winterized with Stabil, etc. It's a pain, and then for no reason mid summer it will idle rough, run rich, start very hard, and burn a lot of fuel. By then we're using it so much I just endure it the rest of the summer. After our first trip of the summer It was running pretty crappy. mechanic confirmed the need for a carb rebuild, but was a month out. I said screw it and converted it to electronic TBI injection. It's was a very easy conversion.

Here's:
    1. spend a week online researching. It's a real common conversion, so there's lots of info online.
    2. found a guy on CL that had the entire setup already pulled out of 1989 chevy 1500. ECU, harness, TBI, distributor, Coil, sensors. I opted to go with a TBI adapter plate for the intake instead of swapping intakes, since it would be simpler and leave the engine as stock as possible.
    3. It took about two evenings to re-work the wiring harness to remove the extra wires, and adjust the lengths. I could do it a lot faster now, but I didn't want any spliced wires so I wanted to make sure I completely understood.
    4. Took a full Saturday to remove the carb, install the TBI adapter, swap the distributor, fabricate an ecu mounting plate, run the wires and wrap them. i also had to swap the sensors (left all of the original sensors). Had to run wires to the tank to install an electric fuel pump.

Fired it up and it ran. Overall I've been very happy. It starts up immediately. Idles perfectly and burns about half the fuel it did previously. I was worried it would have less power than the Q-jet I replaced, but It seems like it has a lot more. Probably becuase I couldn't keep the Q-jet in adjustment. My only regret is that I didn't do it 4 years ago.

If anyone wants more of a write up either PM me or let me know and I'll post it. Here's some photos:

IMAG0444.jpgIMAG0473.jpg

Very nice work. You wont regret ever doing that upgrade.

Comment

I agree. Nice work!
      How much did it end up costing?
      Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Nice work been looking to do this to an old mastercraft we have. What did you do for an oxygen sensor?

Comment

All said, I'm in it a liitle over $600. That's for all the assorted wraps, connectors and misc that always comes up. I'm not running an o2 sensor. I bought an exhaust riser off eBay and planned to install it, just never got around to it. After I get the interior done, this winter I'll probably install it. I read a lot about TBI conversions and seems like a lot of people go the open loop route and don't worry about it. I'm happy with the performance without it, but would be curious to know if it makes a difference.

Simple swap. Best project I've done to the boat so far.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbillyboy View Post
            All said, I'm in it a liitle over $600. That's for all the assorted wraps, connectors and misc that always comes up. I'm not running an o2 sensor. I bought an exhaust riser off eBay and planned to install it, just never got around to it. After I get the interior done, this winter I'll probably install it. I read a lot about TBI conversions and seems like a lot of people go the open loop route and don't worry about it. I'm happy with the performance without it, but would be curious to know if it makes a difference.

Simple swap. Best project I've done to the boat so far.
            Most/all marine EFIs until a few years ago didn't use an O2 sensor. The new systems with Cat Converters have to have them. Some like them to get the best fuel economy running on light/med loads, but under full load the O2 sensor doesn't buy you anything (they typically are switching O2s that don't read how rich/lean you are). The main thing to look for would be if your knock sensor shows activity as it will usually give an indication of lean... for a few seconds before bad things start happening!

Comment

Great job! What did you do for the fuel lines? I'm considering this on my 1995, so I may reach out to you for your detailed writeup as it gets closer. Also, did you have to do any specific reworking of the throttle cable/bracket. I'm asking this as I also have perfect pass installed.

Comment

Impressive work! Thanks for sharing with the community.

Comment

Originally posted by uttige2002 View Post
                  Great job! What did you do for the fuel lines? I'm considering this on my 1995, so I may reach out to you for your detailed writeup as it gets closer. Also, did you have to do any specific reworking of the throttle cable/bracket. I'm asking this as I also have perfect pass installed.
                  Feel Free to PM me when you're ready. It wasn't too bad. The mercruiser throttle bracket did not need to be altered. I had to drill out the TBI side of it, as it had a pressed in connection. Once I drilled that out, the existing connector bolted right up. I'm not explaining it well, but if you see the TBI, it will make sense.

Comment

Working...
                  X