Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winterizing - How many blue water drain plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winterizing - How many blue water drain plugs?

Hey guys. It's my first winterize on my boat. It's sat in a garage with a light in the bilge its entire life. It's 1998 with the 350.
    I've asked this question in another thread so sorry for the double post.

I just put the boat up in covered storage for the winter and wanted to make sure I got all the drains. I pulled 5 and saw somewhere that there was 6. Did I miss one?

Thank you.
    I'm trying to find a manual online with an engine schematic but can't find the correct year.

Mine's a 2001 6.2 liter engine, but it is a Mercruiser with the blue plugs so it's probably close to what you have.

Here's a video I posted last year showing where the plugs are in mine. I'll bet the locations are pretty close in yours.

Good luck!

Comment

Great video and killer boat. Thank you. I hope I have that one under the belt. It's pretty easy to get to with a direct drive. Did you pull the hose coming out of the impeller housing?

Comment

I have an '03 direct drive with the merc 350 MAG MPI tow sports... I've got 4 blue plugs: 2 at raw water intake pump, starboard lower side... 1 at a big grey ball looking thing (don't know proper name or purpose really) on lower port side... And 1 on top, dead center... I've also got 2 hoses, one on each side, that plug into the block below the exhaust manifolds. These have quick connect fittings on them that just unplug with a little squeeze and pull. Don't know exactly what motor you have without seeing the flame arrestor cover, as there are a few different variations of the merc 350. Find out your exact motor and google that motors service manual... I have the tow sports model with the black plastic cover with red stickers... Here's a link to my manual and a pic of my model sticker on the side of my flame arrestor. If you match my motor this manual will work for you too...

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/owner/gas/86419701.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by bordo380 View Post
          Great video and killer boat. Thank you. I hope I have that one under the belt. It's pretty easy to get to with a direct drive. Did you pull the hose coming out of the impeller housing?
          The only hose I pulled in the engine compartment was the one on the port side. My camera angle wasn't great & it was tight so you probably couldn't get a good look. I believe that's going to the transmission cooler. I think the water in the hose to the impeller is drained via a blue plug.

Reading your question made me wonder if I remembered that hose again this year. Gotta' take a trip out to the storage lot now!

Comment

That makes 2 of us. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Bryan here is my motor. I've seen that grey ball canister thing in other pictures. I need to look a little harder to see if I have it. I'll prob pull some hoses now too.

Comment

Here is a link to the manual for your motor.. I would save it somewhere for future reference, tons of useful info. It looks like you don't have the gray ball(water distribution housing per my manual)... Anyways, there's a step by step winter storage section in this manual.. Just follow the steps and you should be good to go.

http://download.brunswick-marine.com...oard/50865.pdf

Comment

Bryan! My hero. That rocks. This is exactly what I wanted. Thank you!!!!!

Comment

what kind of damage can happen if boat hasnt been winterized and we have had freeze?

Comment

Water left in the engine block can freeze and crack it..

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick805 View Post
                        what kind of damage can happen if boat hasnt been winterized and we have had freeze?
                        About a 5K repair bill...

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick805 View Post
                          How cold and for how long?

Comment

Working...
                          X