Missing Seacock Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing Seacock Valve

I just purchased a 98' Tige' 2100WT and noticed there is no Seacock valve. Is this normal in this model Tige'? If so is there some other kind a safety valve inline. I am the third owner and the previous owner new nothing about a Seacock valve. I previously owned a 89' Baja SkiSport 190 and it definitely had a Seacock valve for added safety when leaving the boat in the water. Any suggestions on why it is missing or a particular one to put in would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Seacocks are not installed on these boats. Not a big deal if you want to but be sure to install a seacock and not a ball valve on a through hull.
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Just saw this thread. This topic has always bothered me.

1) Not having a valve on a below-waterline thruhull seems unnecessarily dangerous. Worse, they often pipe clamp hose to a NPS threaded fitting, trusting hose threads to make a liquid tight seal against water that is under pressure (because it's below the waterline). This is not unique to Tige, most boat companies do this.

2) But then they DO put ball valves on the ballast thruhulls. Not real seacocks, mind you, but at least something.

Why do they think the engine raw water intake - with its non-hose-barb connection - is safer than a ballast thruhull? The engine typically has a 1.25 inch thruhull. A standard bilge pump is going to have a hard time keeping up with the inflow of water, and it's in an awkward spot so it will be hard to "just keep your hand over it". Even if they don't want to spring for honest seacocks (which admittedly are more expensive to buy and more labor intensive to install), why not include a ball valve like they do for the ballast intakes?

Inquiring minds and all that....

Comment

I had a larger boat, twin diesels, it had seacocks on all below waterline holes. IMO they aren't put in these boats for a couple reasons. Not many of these type of boats live 24/7 in the water, rather are on hoists or trailers for much of their lives. Also, having a seacock means you can brain fart and forget to open it when going out. Lastly, these boats rarely get too far from shore where things go from bad to worse rapidly...

Comment

Working...
          X