Bilge Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bilge Woes

Having water in my bilge way too frequently. Thought it was leaking through the fresh water intake....removed and resealed...still leaking. Maybe the intake for the ballast...removed line and plugged..still leaking. Put plug in boat while on trailer and filled bilge with hose to bottom of tranny and added blue food color to water. No movement or leaking outside. Any ideas?

Forgot to add-- ran on fake a lake for 15 minutes no water from engine

Comment

Is this new? Do you have a big crew that is getting in and out of the water? changing jackets, tubes, etc.. You would be surprised at how much water comes in that way.

Have you checked the shaft?

Comment

No my surfer is away at school and not even filling the ballast. Very minimal in and out and nothing over the bow. Thought it might be the shaft but it didn't leak in my submersion test. I should have turned the prop but remembered after I drained the test.

Comment

Unfortunately, they have yet to make a boat that doesn't leak. Unless your volume of water is setting off the bilge every 5 minutes, and your auto bilge still works, I wouldn't worry about it. What problems is it causing?
          Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Check around the front eye hook where the winch strap connects to. My 22ve was constantly taking on water in the front compartments and bilge also and it took me forever to find, and the wasn't any sealant around the eye hook. removed and sealed never had as much water in bilge from that day on.

Comment

Did you check your driveshaft packing? How much does it drip when standing still? How much when underway?

Comment

I think it probably is the packing, how hard is it to fix and whats the cost.

Comment

Fortunately not hard to fix and pretty cheap. (assuming you have an old school wax rope packing)
                  Not sure what you are running. Can you get someone to drive while you watch how much water is coming in while under way?

Comment

I have a '99 2100i and after blowing out the speedo lines to remove debris from the pickup tubes under the boat, one of the lines popped off allowing water into the boat. If you've checked the prop shaft packing & it is not the culprit, you may to give this a look. Good luck.

Comment

Do you have heater and or shower? My heater core was leaking (bad winterization). I removed it; much to my wife's dismay! that fixed it.
                      DF
                      Lead Singer & Driver of the Chesterfield Chubby.

Comment

Did you ever get this fixed? I just had same thing happen with me on my 22 ve. Water in bilge so it could not keep up. Scary.

Comment

I've had the bow eye before. Also had a loose exhaust log that caused a ton of water in the bilge.
                          You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Working...
                          X