Steering wheel turns but rudder does not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wheel turns but rudder does not

Hi I'm a first time boat owner. I have a 2000 20i and I was out on the lake the other weekend. We were surfing and I had wrecked and I was waiting for my buddy to pick me up and he yelled that he couldn't steer the boat. Upon getting the boat off the lake and home on the trailer I tried to investigate a little. The steering wheel turns fine and the cable seems to move freely in the helm under the steering wheel. I noticed though that the cable will keep pushing out of the helm which I do not remember noticing while driving previously. The rudder does not move when the steering wheel is turned. I can manually turn the rudder and have had someone move the rudder while I stick my head under and it looks like all the pieces are intact underneath the fuel tank. Is it possible the cable snapped or came loose where it should attach to the rudder housing? Sorry if I used the wrong words or something I am not familiar with boats and I'm trying to decide if this is something I can replace or if I should have the dealer fix it?

Thanks

Sounds like someone forgot to tighten the steering cable
    To rudder bolt when changing out the cable.

Try looking for a bolt, washer, and nut in your bilge. It's pretty straight foward on getting everything hooked back up.

Comment

Sounds the issue is the rack/pinion or rotary, which ever type you have.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Do this, turn the steering wheel as much as possible. If it turns about 4 times and locks, you know your under-helm assembly is still intact and cable is good, but unhooked from the rudder. If it keeps spinning, you probably have loose bolts holding the rack to the pinion, or stripped gears. There is really no way those cables can break. They lock up more than anything.

Comment

Originally posted by kx250frider617 View Post
          Do this, turn the steering wheel as much as possible. If it turns about 4 times and locks, you know your under-helm assembly is still intact and cable is good, but unhooked from the rudder. If it keeps spinning, you probably have loose bolts holding the rack to the pinion, or stripped gears. There is really no way those cables can break. They lock up more than anything.
          I can definitely turn the wheel 4 times and I can see the cable moving through the helm. It seems to move freely. If it came loose from the rudder do I need to remove the back seat to reach back there. I tried removing the floor in the ski locker and found my fuel tank. I will say I had no steering issues previously. A friend of my commented on how nice it turned compared to friends boats. Also if it is this issue is there a tip for getting the cable in the right position with the steering wheel.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X