please help my boat won't stay running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

please help my boat won't stay running

I took my 2003 21i out yesterday and it ran fine. We came back to shore for lunch and anchored the boat out away from shore. After lunch the boat will start but die within a few seconds. Any ideas?

Low Fuel? This happened to me on my '97 SeaRay. We traveled to July 4th fireworks show and after the show, the boat would start but stall before you could get it on gear. After 10-12 attempts signaled for help and a good Samaritan towed us home. The fuel gauge read 1/4 tank, but after adding more fuel it started and ran fine.
    Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by skyler0801 View Post
      I took my 2003 21i out yesterday and it ran fine. We came back to shore for lunch and anchored the boat out away from shore. After lunch the boat will start but die within a few seconds. Any ideas?
      Is it sputtering or back firing? If so it most likely fuel vapor locked as several models with the MPI around those years will do that if the engine compartment is left closed after running hard for awhile then shutting off without much of a cool down. If it does vapor lock you might want to cool down more before shutting down and leave engine compartment open to air out while parked for a long break.

Comment

If it is the vapor lock issue, keep your blower running for a while after shutting the engine down. Sometimes it isn't feasible to prop the engine cover open.
        The luck is gone, the brain is shot, but the liquor we still got.

Comment

Is it powered by the MerCruiser 5.7L with the Cool Fuel System?

Comment

Skyler did you figure out the problem? Water in fuel/ or vapor lock? Check spark?

Comment

Working...
            X