2001 22i Prop Shaft Offset?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2001 22i Prop Shaft Offset?

I've been having some issues with my wake on my 2001 22i since the middle of last season where it rolls over on different sides depending on the speed the boat is going. At < 2300 RPM the drivers side wake is washed out and > 2400 RPM the passenger side washes out. I replaced the steering cable today (very easy process on this boat) and when I was aligning the rudder I noticed the prop shaft is offset from center. I've read some other threads that talk about the rudder being offset, but I haven't seen a conclusive response saying offset is normal or not. I have not ever noticed this in the past, so I'm wondering if this might have something to do with the funny business going on with my wake.

Does anyone know if the prop shaft is supposed to be offset to one side of the rudder somewhat (maybe 1 an inch or so)?

IMG_0354r.jpg

Prop and rudder offset is normal as far as I know.
    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Is your strut bent? Looks bent in the picture.

Comment

It doesn't come straight down if it's supposed to. It has some angle to it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Comment

It is supposed to come straight down. Can you turn the prop with one hand?

Comment

Can't turn the prop with 2 hands.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Comment

When my transmission had to be replaced under warranty, the shop had to get an extra labor cost approval from Tige/PCM because they had to remove my rudder to pull the propshaft. They mostly work on Nautique, and apparently an offset propshaft is standard on them so their original labor estimate presumed the propshaft would slide right past the rudder like it would on a Nautique. Only when they got into it did they realize that Tige's were different, that (at least) my boat's propshaft is centered with the rudder.

Comment

You will need at the least a strut and maybe a new shaft as well.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll call the shop to see about getting it in. This one's probably beyond what I'll tackle on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lee, how can you see something looking bent in the picture?
                    Maybe take some more from different angles?
                    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

If you look at the strut where it is attached to the hull, it is right behind the rudder. If you look at the strut at the lower end it is offset to the left.

Comment

Working...
                      X